DEMO MadBean Trash Compacter Compressor

This post contains an audio or video demo

MichaelW

Build Rating
5.00 star(s)
When I saw this pop up under the new offerings over at MBP I knew I had to build it.

Being as obsessive as I am I also decided to build a couple of other compressors as well. The fist was the AionFX version of the John Hollis Flatline documented here.

I also grabbed the Engineers Thumb from PPCB since I don't have a DIY OTA based compressor. TBD on that one....:)

So this is a really cool original design by the Loco Frijole himself. It's a VCA based compressor using the THAT4305 IC. I don't think I've ever seen one before.

I grabbed the pre soldered THAT4305 from MBP and I'm glad I did, not sure I'd want to solder that SMT, it's a wee little thing.

I've built a ton of compressors but none of them have managed to knock my beloved General Tso off the board yet. And as cool as this one sounds, I don't think it will either. Having said that, it's a great compressor with a small footprint.

It's super quiet even with the controls maxed out. Much quieter than the other VCA compressor I've built, the MBP "Oracle" (Boss CS-3).
It doesn't have as much squish as the CS-3 but more than any of my optical compressors.
It's very neutral sounding and doesn't add a lot of coloration.

I tend to use my compressor as a subtle always on affect and one thing I really love about the Fat General is the treble control. As you crank up the squish you invariably lose a little high end and the treble control on the Tso's can restore some of that sparkle that I like.

Having said that, I'm really impressed with both the Flatline and the Trash Compactor in how neutral sounding they are.

Highly recommended build. I've got 3 compressors on my board right now and have been messing around with all 3. But invariably I always seem to wind up preferring the Tso's (even though it's by a hair).

Super straightforward build and dialing it in was pretty easy.

I used the Tayda Flat Violet enclosure with some dark blue chicken head knobs. Top mounting the MBP 1590B builds is always a bit of a crapshoot.
I just managed to squeak this one in using Lumberg Jacks. The cable jacks clear the components by a hair.....

IMG_5020.JPG

IMG_5019.JPG

I recorded a short demo of this pedal with a bit of knob tweaking and also comparing it to the Tso and Flatline.

Last edited:
Nice build! I like the color choices and commitment to top jacks haha. This wasn't on my radar at all. I really appreciate the demo, even though I got distracted and mostly ended up just listening to the playing instead of comparing the pedals/settings! I find its super hard to demo a compressor and it's one of those things you feel way more than you hear. I'm very interested to hear how you like the engineer's thumb when you get around to building it.

I recently finished the General Tso and really like it. Better than the Kompromat I finished a few weeks ago. The GT is really subtle and I like that. However, I'm not a huge fan of the buffer. It messes with a boost I keep in front of the chain. I wish there was a TB option.

Nice build!
Any chance you could give us a ranking of all of the compressors you’ve built, from least squish to most?
That would require that I actually remember all the compressors I've built hahaha.

Ok least to most:

PPCB Constrictor (Demeter)
MBP Roughcut (Diamond)
PPCB Delegate Boneyard (EQD Warden)
AionFX Convex (Dinosaural OTC-201)
PPCB General Tso (Fat General)
AionFX Proxima (Hollis Flatline)
AionFX Oceanid (Cornish OC-1)
MBP Trash Compactor
MBP Oracle (Boss CS-3)

I "think" that's all the ones I've built. I still have the boards for the MBP BearHug and the Thumbsucker. Bear in mind that some of the optical compressors are like splitting hairs in the difference of compression. I like the Tso mostly for the slightly "fuller" sound.

I recently finished the General Tso and really like it. Better than the Kompromat I finished a few weeks ago. The GT is really subtle and I like that. However, I'm not a huge fan of the buffer. It messes with a boost I keep in front of the chain. I wish there was a TB option.
I run all my boosts after the compressor in my chain.

Looks good and glad you like it! I was a bit nervous about offering it since I would be hand soldering all those 4305 ICs. But, it got pretty easy with the right tools.
I've got a couple of builds that are going to require some SMD work - what are you using to solder them???

I run all my boosts after the compressor in my chain.
I'm using a GPCB Stage 3 Boost and when I put it after the GT I don't get the same interaction between pickups and boost with the buffer between them. I'm not a compressor always on kinda guy so it was a little bit of a bummer for me.

I'm using a GPCB Stage 3 Boost and when I put it after the GT I don't get the same interaction between pickups and boost with the buffer between them. I'm not a compressor always on kinda guy so it was a little bit of a bummer for me.
Stage 3 has a buffer. Maybe try a non-buffered boost?

Does the Creamery have a higher noise floor? That's what I've heard anyway.
At higher compression settings maybe. I've figured out that I can run a boost into either of these compressors and set the compression knob lower to get a better signal to noise ratio while maintaining a similar compression level.

I’m pretty sure it could just be wired as true bypass ignoring the buffer if you wanted to try that.

Back