MIAB well kinda

carlinb17

Build Rating
5.00 star(s)
So in 2021 had it a crazy idea to build an amp, I built a Tweed Deluxe, then I started chasing the dragon and build a Deluxe Reverb. I got the idea in my head to build a matching set of amps. So this is the 1974 18watt Marshall I built. I change a bunch of the cosmetics to match my Deluxe including a black faceplate and white pilot light. No issues or smoke building it! Next will eventually be a Vox style…

Attachments

• IMG_4155.jpeg
    IMG_4155.jpeg
    636.4 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_4157.jpeg
    IMG_4157.jpeg
    412.6 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_4158.jpeg
    IMG_4158.jpeg
    517 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_4162.jpeg
    IMG_4162.jpeg
    443.4 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_4159.jpeg
    IMG_4159.jpeg
    473.8 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_3852.jpeg
    IMG_3852.jpeg
    675.4 KB · Views: 39
Looks fantastic! Love the idea of matching amps that are tonally as far apart as Marshall and Fender. I second Fig's question on whether it was a kit or sourced. I'm in the process of figuring out how I want to go about my Marshall build, and whether to go JTM45 or 1987x.

Wow, that looks incredible! Did you get a kit or source it yourself? :love:

I started with a parts kit from mojotone, they have excellent documentation and there was only a few screwy thing but nothing heavy. I wanted a white pilot light to match my deluxe and I found that online and with a little tweaking it worked great.

The enclosure was from Mojotones Custom shop and I was able to match the piping, tolex, grill cloth. The faceplate was done again by mojotone's custom shop, since I was having this one done I also got them to do a matching Vox AC3015 style faceplate for the Vox I will eventually do...

The nameplate I got from droplight ind. I used them before for the Deluxe's badge and the work is great.

here's a picture of my deluxe's badge and amp before I adde the badge.

Attachments

• 96947E18-3B73-4AC0-B305-9AC3A01E8E13.JPG
    96947E18-3B73-4AC0-B305-9AC3A01E8E13.JPG
    455.2 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_3834.jpg
    IMG_3834.jpg
    601.7 KB · Views: 7
I started with a parts kit from mojotone, they have excellent documentation and there was only a few screwy thing but nothing heavy. I wanted a white pilot light to match my deluxe and I found that online and with a little tweaking it worked great.

The enclosure was from Mojotones Custom shop and I was able to match the piping, tolex, grill cloth. The faceplate was done again by mojotone's custom shop, since I was having this one done I also got them to do a matching Vox AC3015 style faceplate for the Vox I will eventually do...

The nameplate I got from droplight ind. I used them before for the Deluxe's badge and the work is great.

here's a picture of my deluxe's badge and amp before I adde the badge.
Mojotone is doing the custom shop faceplates again?? :love:

They (allegedly) quit offering them a few years ago, then farmed it out to an employee who was doing them on the side using Mojo’s equipment.. But he quit doing it as well. Huge bummer, but I understand the pandemic times were tough for them.

Last edited:
Mojotone is doing the custom shop faceplates again?? :love:

They (allegedly) quit offering that a few years ago, then farmed it out to an employee who was doing on the side using their equipment.. But he quit doing it as well. Huge bummer, but I understand the pandemic times were tough for them.
I think it really depends on what you’re looking to do, mine was only a color change so it wasn’t too much. They still charge the setup fees etc… but I was ok with that because it’s what I wanted. They were super easy to work with!

I think it really depends on what you’re looking to do, mine was only a color change so it wasn’t too much. They still charge the setup fees etc… but I was ok with that because it’s what I wanted. They were super easy to work with!
We need a family shot!

By the way, the NC3015 is a great sounding amp. It's definitely worth a look!

Back