Micro-Protoboard

That would be an awesome job / gig! I'm hoping we'll soon be able to hear a lot more beach music. We're zero'd in on the stretch between Pawley's to Hilton Head...yeah I know that's not exactly a bulls-eye but were getting closer!

lookin good! Waiting on parts for mine. Trying to think of a way to attach some strip for terminal blocks + headers on the side maybe maybe

Well, first breadboarded effect on the mini Protoboard wound up being a plain old Acapulco gold, just to see what all the fuss is about.

shown here with an additional B2K pot in series with the 10μF cap of the first 386’s gain-set pins so I could experiment with taming the first gain stage.

View attachment 26170
Looks nice! What’s the verdict on the AG? A bit deaf in one ear now? I SAID A BIT…:ROFLMAO:
Oh, watch the temp on the LM386s…they tend to liquify the bb.

I’m thinking about grabbing a few of these. I like the Protoboard but it’s big and sometimes I just want to throw a Fuzz Face together quick.

Looks nice! What’s the verdict on the AG? A bit deaf in one ear now? I SAID A BIT…:ROFLMAO:
Oh, watch the temp on the LM386s…they tend to liquify the bb.
Verdict is I get the hype, but don’t buy into it myself. I’ve got a Good number of 386s lying around so I might give it second chance in the future. Good tip on the 386 temperature tho- I’ll have to keep that in mind.

Second was a Screaming Bird treble boost. I actually dig it and didn’t find it too shrill in the right situation. I found that on the middle position of my Les Paul it had a really gnarly resonant thing going on that wasn’t present on either pickup by itself— sorta like a dual resonant peak at 300 and 600hz which was actually really cool sounding. Certainly not as awful as people make it out to be, even if it is a bit harsh if it’s going into totally clean headroom. I’ll have to double check my resistor values (it was around midnight that I did this one) because the gain was significantly lower than what I would expect from an LPB-based circuit compared to the LPBs I’ve built in the past— with a *linear* taper 100k volume pot unity was around noon, and at full crank, the amplification read around 6dB in my interface. Whatever my blunder (haven’t looked yet, but I’d guess I maybe was off by a significant figure on one or two resistor values), I liked it a lot, and would like to replicate it, as it sounded stellar into a lightly gritty AC-30 emulation, and would surely sound even better into my actual AC-30. The 5088 measured at 620 hFe btw. Of course, I decided to record some demos with the circuit afterwards, and the weight of my guitar cable pulled a bunch cups of sorted loose caps and a few dozen pots and patch wires down— mist we suffer for our art? Heh heh 😂
B25B1302-D45D-4828-91CB-13521054FC98.jpeg

Here you go...fig's funky five minute fuzz...

OHWQGpX.jpg
reminds me a bit of the War of the Worlds....

• Haha
Reactions: fig
Time to breadboard your combo pedal..... :)
Indeed!

What’s great about the μProtoboard is that it’s small enough that I can take it around with me. I can fill a small portable parts organizer wiry common transistors, caps, and resistor values, bring along some wires, and prototype stuff on campus in between classes— just power the Protoboard from my MacBook with one of these guys and plug directly into my interface so I can audition circuits in GarageBand as I tweak them.

Reactions: fig
Oh, it's just a regular 'ol Fuzz Face sans any controls. I just thought the name was cute. You could breadboard one blindfolded......well maybe not, too difficult to distinguish resistor values by taste....do they make flavored resistors by chance?
If you're building blindfolded, I'd think it would be safer for resistors to just go with scratch n' sniff rather than flavored resistors, but I'm not going to judge either way...

All I need to breadboard is simple fuzzes. The fullsize Protoboard is overkill but the Micro lacks the pots. I wish there was a Protoboard Medium with 3 terminal blocks for pots.

All I need to breadboard is simple fuzzes. The fullsize Protoboard is overkill but the Micro lacks the pots. I wish there was a Protoboard Medium with 3 terminal blocks for pots.

Im not gonna lie, as much as I like the big Protoboard as a concept, I typically bypass the pot blocks in favor of pots directly in circuit.

Back