Missing Build Docs / Schematics

Any chance I could get a drilling template for the new version of the King's Hand OD (or something with the same layout)?

This is probably a dumb question, but what components do I need for this handy expression controller? Is there a wiring diagram available?

Is it literally just a 6 pin jack and a long legged pot? What value should the pot be?

Last edited:
This is probably a dumb question, but what components do I need for this handy expression controller? Is there a wiring diagram available?

Is it literally just a 6 pin jack and a long legged pot? What value should the pot be?
Interesting that you should say that. So that I could build my tearjerker wah, a friend donated me his Mission expression pedal (surprisingly, the footpedal enclosure is not only “like” a Dunlop, it was actually Dunlop stock with their trademark inside) -ANYWAY, never having used an expression pedal, I opened this one up expecting to have to remove a lot of electronics since the expression pedal was specifically designed to work with line 6 devices. You guessed it – when I opened it up, the entire enclosure was completely empty other than one jack wired straight to the pot that was manipulated by the wah treadle. Not a single other thing inside the enclosure. Unless there are Keebler elves hiding inside that help with the operation of the pedal, there really is basically nothing at all to an expression pedal.

There are more complex expression pedals with active electronics but the majority are just that, a potentiometer wired to a 1/4" jack.

The Handy has no wiring, the jack and pot mount directly to the PCB. It's a simple utility that you could absolutely build without a PCB at all, but I needed a couple for my workbench and designed the Handy (it originally had a slightly less family friendly name) just to make the assembly cleaner.

The value of the pot depends on the devices you plan to control with it. Common values are 10K, 25, and 50K.

I used 10K in mine.

Interesting that you should say that. So that I could build my tearjerker wah, a friend donated me his Mission expression pedal (surprisingly, the footpedal enclosure is not only “like” a Dunlop, it was actually Dunlop stock with their trademark inside) -ANYWAY, never having used an expression pedal, I opened this one up expecting to have to remove a lot of electronics since the expression pedal was specifically designed to work with line 6 devices. You guessed it – when I opened it up, the entire enclosure was completely empty other than one jack wired straight to the pot that was manipulated by the wah treadle. Not a single other thing inside the enclosure. Unless there are Keebler elves hiding inside that help with the operation of the pedal, there really is basically nothing at all to an expression pedal.
Here’s the fun part - it *should* be simple, but the value of the pot isn’t standardized from manufacturer to manufacturer.

Line 6 uses a 10k pot... BUT! Uses a mono TS cable where the vast majority of expression pedals are based on TRS-cable and various other pot values as others have mentioned but I've also seen 100k, 250k...

So to find an expression pedal that is decent and works with Line6 M5, M9, etc... is a PITA, and if you do find one it won't work with other pedals' expression-inputs — to become a TOTAL PITA.

I have an M5 and found this out the hard way.

So then I built myself a 1590LB with a knob and a momentary-footswitch so I could do Whammy-style octave jumps...

Has a schematic for the Pot & Kettle been released? I’m pretty fascinated with the way the three level controls interact, and would love to study the circuit.

I know it just got released but if there is a Skeptical Buffer drill template/parts list handy I would love to order the parts for it. Thanks! Lots of cool projects coming out!

New revision of parthenon is available (thank you) but looks like the docs are going to be updated, so you still have the drill template though assuming that will be the same.

Switch change is some what annoying but understandable. Only annoying because I have a few type 1’s and no type 2’s :)
Pry apart a Type 1 and flip the widget at the bottom and you've got a Type 2 once you squeeze it all back together.
Someone told me how, and I did it out of frustration at not being able to source a Type 2 for a verrrrry long time.

Back