Multiple connections to Lumberg DC jack

iamjackslackof

Hi all,

I like to use those nice little thinline Luberg DC jacks. I also like to use relay bypass boards. Using the relay board means I need to run two hot and two ground connections from my DC jack. The Lumberg ones have a very small hole, and getting 2 connections becomes much more difficult.

This seems like a problem others have probably encountered, and probably solved. Anyone have any ideas? One option is to use much smaller gauge wire. I'm using I think 24 gauge, and it's the nice pre-bond stuff so I don't have to tin it. Ideally I'd be able to find some in a smaller gauge if I were to go that route, but I think given the size of the hole it would still be a tight fit will all but the smallest gauge. I've considered a breakout board as well, but seems like a bit of a hassle, and I'm not sure how to mount a Lumberg jack to a PCB, and it just adds to my part count and expense per board.

Thanks!

I've sometimes used a daughter board made from a small, 2-track piece of vero. You can connect the leads going to your DC jack and then cut it to accommodate however many hot and ground connections you need. Doesn't take up that much space.

There are also these little gems from PedalPCB . . .
https://www.pedalpcb.com/product/dcbreakout/
DC-Splitter.jpg

There are also these little gems from PedalPCB . . .
Do those work with Lumbergs? I've never been able to visualize how they would.

I've sometimes used a daughter board made from a small, 2-track piece of vero. You can connect the leads going to your DC jack and then cut it to accommodate however many hot and ground connections you need. Doesn't take up that much space.
I hadn't thought of using Vero, thanks!

I like to use those nice little thinline Luberg DC jacks. I also like to use relay bypass boards. Using the relay board means I need to run two hot and two ground connections from my DC jack. The Lumberg ones have a very small hole, and getting 2 connections becomes much more difficult.

I usually strip one wire longer than the other, wrap the shorter one around the base of the longer and solder them together. Then, I take the tip of the longer wire and connect it to the Lumberg. Hopefully that makes sense.

That's what they're made for. The lugs go through the vertical slots at the bottom where the circle is screen printed
Ohhh, I see it now. I always though they were for the PCB mount Kobiconn jacks, never considered it would be upright. I think I even have some somewhere collecting dust...
I usually strip one wire longer than the other, wrap the shorter one around the base of the longer and solder them together. Then, I take the tip of the longer wire and connect it to the Lumberg. Hopefully that makes sense.
That makes perfect sense, and I will probably give that shot next. Thanks!

For my Squidward build I used an intelligent relay bypass with the small DC jack. I think I managed to cram both wires in the tiny holes but it's possible I spliced the wires together and only ran one end in the lugs, I don't remember and I covered them with heat shrink.

Back