Neurocyton and Dung Beetle

spi

Wrapped up two builds this weekend.

The Neurocyton is an AiaB based on a Fender brown amp. I don’t like when pedal makers drop these coy and vague descriptions—isn’t there more than one brown amp? Ok, it’s the one from 63… I guess I still don’t know how to decipher that. Anyway what is important is it’s a transition period between dirty tweed era and clean black era. And while I don’t know much about these amps, it does appeal to me. Tweeds can get too loose in the bass, but this with the gain up gets some of that nice grit without sounding too farty, exactly what I was hoping to get out of it. It also works as a nice bright clean boost with the gain down. And it's nice to have another AiaB that's not a MiaB.

The Dung Beetle is the 2nd in my planned “summer of fuzz” PCBs (which I bought and planned to build this summer but am only getting around to now). The first was the Fuzz Aldrin, which has a range control that takes it from overdrive to a polished fuzz, and this seems to pick up where that drops off, going from smooth to more gnarly tones with a turn of the bias knob. I wasn’t a big fuzz person, but I’m having fun with both of these and they are starting to convert me.

I also learned why people don’t like these Tayda 1900 knobs which don’t have the brass insert—I’ve used them on both the Dung and Aldrin pedals, and one broke already, so 10% failure rate out of the box.

IMG_20230204_141332028.jpg IMG_20230204_141344230_HDR.jpg
IMG_20230204_141355017_HDR.jpg IMG_20230204_141403657_HDR.jpg

Cool builds! I have the Neurocyton and enclosure ready to go here soon on my bench. At the risk of sounding like a fool, What's AiaB and MiaB stand for?

Back