New Relay Bypass Module (Instant Switching)

Check your wiring, look for any solder splashes or stray wire strands.

It sounds like you might be shorting one of the supply rails (9V or 5V) to ground.

The LED should only blink when power is applied to the circuit while holding down the footswitch simultaneously. If the LED blinks while you're holding down the footswitch then the microcontroller is restarting for some reason.

My guess is that holding down the footswitch is putting an excessive load on the 5V line for some reason and the regulator is dropping out momentarily, causing a full reset condition to occur.

I haven't found any bridges connections. Everything is connected as per the schematic. One question I have is the microcontroller that came with my pcb is the ATtiny25V. It looks like it is supposed to be a ATtiny85V. Could this make any difference? As far as I can tell the 25 just has less memory.

I recreated the circuit on a breadboard (minus the audio input/outputs and ctrl transistor and r3) using the same Panasonic latching relay, ATtiny25V and new 5V regulator (just in case).

The switching sometimes works instantly but then it reverts back to needing to hold the switch down. The LED blinks 2 sets of 3 or 4 quick blinks before the relay switches on. If I keep shorting the switch a bunch of times i can get it back to instant switching for a while but it is inconsistent. Any ideas? Should i order a new relay and ATtiny?

I was able to get it working perfectly by removing the 22p cap (C3). I believe this cap is being used as a method of debouncing the switch. I am not sure why this fixed it but it worked for my breadboard test and in the pedal circuit on the intelligent relay bypass pcb. It turns on or off instantly every time and when I hold the switch down I get the momentary on or momentary off function as intended.

Last edited:
  • Thinking
Reactions: fig
Back