Newbie Questions Regarding Ordering Parts

MiracleMusic

I have decent soldering skills, do all of my own guitar repair, some amp repair, and feel plenty confident about building a pedal or 2 (or 3 or 4 or.....). I know that I could start with a complete kit, like what Aion offers. But I really want to make a Lizard Queen clone, so I need to order the parts needed. Do I just use the list from PedalPCB and search part by pary with one of the many suppliers (Tayda, Mouser....anything else better?), or is there a way to upload an existing list to one of the parts sites? Please be direct and don't worry about politeness, I'd just like to get this figured out so I can build this and more.
Thanks in advance!

I believe Mouser has the ability (and probably Digikey as well) to load a BOM (bill of materials) but in what format I’m not confident… been a while since I uploaded a BOM instead of creating my own.

I’ve ordered from Tayda as well, and I would say the major drawback is the shipping time. Otherwise I’ve been happy with all 3 companies I mentioned although if you are looking for specific parts, Mouser and Digikey seem easier to navigate/have more complete filters…

I believe Mouser has the ability (and probably Digikey as well) to load a BOM (bill of materials) but in what format I’m not confident… been a while since I uploaded a BOM instead of creating my own.

I’ve ordered from Tayda as well, and I would say the major drawback is the shipping time. Otherwise I’ve been happy with all 3 companies I mentioned although if you are looking for specific parts, Mouser and Digikey seem easier to navigate/have more complete filters…
Thanks. I guess I am looking for "specific parts", in that I plan to buy whatever is on the parts list as they are named. I am not confident enough in my parts knowledge to swap parts that I think might work. So any supplier that will have everything I need is the best for me. I am ok spending a little more at one place to get everything I need as opposed to getting "the best deals" by ordering parts from multiple places to save pennies. In your opinion, are all of the places you mentioned likely to have everything I need to build 1 pedal (everything means everything!)?
Thanks!

Stomp Box Parts is another good source. Pays to shop around and get the best deals.

You might be tempted to buy electronics parts on Amazon & eBay. Unless you like to gamble and have the skills to test the parts, best to avoid those two.

One more thing: when ordering parts, especially capacitors, make sure they are the right dimensions, including lead spacing. We've all had problems with this at one time or another. You might need to download a datasheet to get dimensions. On some boards, 1/4W resistors will be a very tight fit. 1/8W resistors will always fit easily. Pay attention to shaft diameter when buying pots. Tayda carries 6mm & 6.35mm (1/4"). For setscrew knobs, you want 6.35mm.

I am not confident enough in my parts knowledge to swap parts that I think might work.
If you have one or two parts you are stuck on that you can't get from Tayda or whoever be sure to do some searches on this forum (and the Googles if you dare) and you can pretty quickly determine if there are substitutes that can be used. Any build I do I like to research on the forum and see what others have done, in case there is something that can be improved or if others made substitutions that seem appealing for one reason or another.

Note: this is a double-edged sword. There are brilliant people on this forum. And there are guys like me.... So pick and choose who you copy from.

There is as much good info as bad on the Internet. Ask here in the General Questions forum about parts subs. The general rule of thumb is you can go up or down 10% on resistors and capacitors with no problem. There are a few very rare exceptions. The Lizard Queen should be very forgiving w.r.t. parts subs.

Thanks, everyone. Along with all of this wonderful advice, I also hear from a builder who I have bought many clones from, and he is a person I also trust. One piece of advice he had was maybe I should suck it up and admit that I know very little and start with a kit. I know just enough to read a schematic and most likely build a simple fuzz without problems, but I don't know how to test transistors, know when a part may not be what it says it is, etc. So even if I source out parts "successfully", I wouldn't know if I have been sent something defective, or even the wrong value, etc. He suggested that if I insist on assembling parts and not do a complete kit, maybe I should start with an opamp pedal so that I don't get into issues with something that will be easier later on when I know more. Thoughts, anyone?
Thanks so much again!!

Last edited:
Depending on where you get your kit, there is still the potential problem of defective / incorrect parts. If you want to get an idea of what can go wrong and what to do about it, spend an hour or two reading the Troubleshooting forum. You will find three kinds of threads:
1. Folks who follow a methodical approach and get to the solution in short order.
2. Folks who randomly swap out parts and occasionally get lucky. Their troubleshooting threads usually run on for many pages with no progress.
3. Folks who get discouraged easily and give up.

If you are like the first group, then pedal building can be fun and rewarding. We have all had to troubleshoot our stuff at one time or another. Some of us accept that we are all fallible, sometime bad shit happens and that we will eventually succeed if we stick with it. There is no shortage of support here.

Whatever you decide to build for your first pedal, make it something simple like a Fuzz Face or Bosstone. Less opportunities for mistakes and easier to troubleshoot if it comes to that. Avoid circuits with JFETs and Germanium transistors because they are finicky to put it mildly. You will need a decent set of tools including a temp controlled soldering iron, a DMM, a well-lit work space and a magnifier (for inspecting your solder joints). And patience. Lots of patience. Don't work when you're distracted, frustrated or under the influence. o_O

A friendly piece of advice: don't requote the last couple of posts in their entirety. You can reply without hitting "reply."

Thanks. I have a great soldering station, well lit work area, tons of patience. I am in group 1, but little experience.
I'll figure out how I want to do this, but whatever I do, it will be an easy circuit.
Thanks.

Last edited:
That may have already been said, but for most of the transistors and IC, you will always win with Mouser, Digikey, Cabintech, StompBoxParts.
With Tayda, I use more caution, I will order more than needed, I've had less success with those (maybe they get damaged in the transportation, or I manipulated them wrong) but that was on my first builds and maybe it's my fault.

The thing that I did was go back and read lots of troubleshooting threads. See if you can find any common ground between them. I started with a BYOC kit and read lots of T.S. threads on several forums.

Back