Custom knob questions?

justin23000

I’ve had the idea kicking around of making custom shaped knobs, and with some of the 3d printer talk lately, I wonder if I could throw some questions out there to all you great people?
  1. I hadn’t planned to get into 3D printing, but I had in mind designing a knob shape myself, then having a batch of them printed, making a silicone mold from the printed batch, then casting them in resin to replicate in small batches… there’s probably parts of this plan that don’t make sense because I don’t have any 3D experience or resin experience. Any thoughts?
  2. Has anyone here done any custom knobs with any other methods? I’ve searched a bit, but haven’t really been able to find sources for brass inserts or (Boss style) reflective discs for knob tops…
  3. What is everyone using their 3D printers for? I’m super curious.
This might be too boring to talk about, if so, feel free to ignore. Thanks!

Cool!

I’ve had some ideas for custom knobs, too. However, I know my limits and 3D printing is beyond my ken.

Mind, my desire to build pedals was stronger than my trepidation to do so. Then, building pedals led me wwwwaayyy past my known limits and I built a couple of amps.

So, I say go down that road, find the path to your custom-knob nirvana — it may not be easy, there will be cul-de-sacs and setbacks, but you will find a way even if you have to adjust your goals along the way.

GO FOR IT!
☝🏽😺👍🏽

Cool!

I’ve had some ideas for custom knobs, too. However, I know my limits and 3D printing is beyond my ken.

Mind, my desire to build pedals was stronger than my trepidation to do so. Then, building pedals led me wwwwaayyy past my known limits and I built a couple of amps.

So, I say go down that road, find the path to your custom-knob nirvana — it may not be easy, there will be cul-de-sacs and setbacks, but you will find a way even if you have to adjust your goals along the way.

GO FOR IT!
☝🏽😺👍🏽
As an aside, and not to get too mushy, I love this forum. It’s great to have a community that feels welcoming enough that no one seems to worry about expressing our trepidations!

Some good questions. I’ll try to answer a few.

But I’ll start by asking one—do you currently use 3dCAD software? If not, to do 3d printing, you’re going to need to come up with the files. There are many options, including zero cost online apps, and this would lead to a separate thread.

Be aware that the most common hobbyist 3d printers are extruders, using plastic filament that is applied in layers, and so you do not get a finished, truly clean surface. There are also resin printers available, especially with small envelope (or platform) sizes, that are both capable of much cleaner prints, and more problematic to get to the point where you are just confidently popping out parts. Note that even resin printers will need some cleanup, but much less than filament (extrusion) printers.

There are also print shops, online, and if you’re in a bigger city, locally, that can print parts for you. Something knob sized would be around $10 in a polyjet print, which would just need a very light sanding.

Casting is very problematic, for a hobbyist. If you’re willing to drill out the holes for the knob shaft and screw as secondary operations, you could do open faced molds, which are FAR more easy to have success with. But otherwise, you need a two part mold, and you’ll still have to drill and tap the screw hole, since you can’t have through holes in soft tooling (what the mold gets called). To do a decent job, you need a vacuum pump and vacuum chamber, to de-gas both the mold material and the casting resin. Unless you use a silicone for the mold, you will need to deal with release agents, which can be hard to use without leaving an impression on the cast parts. In my shop I always needed to look at the clean up time on prints v. The number of parts I needed, and figure out where the break even point was between multiple printed (or machined, etc.) parts and making a master and casting from that. Your idea of making multiple masters is good. If you’re interested in casting, look at artstuff.com—Douglas and Sturgess have been my casting material supplier for over 40 years, and their online catalog is almost a textbook.

Another issue will be where the set screw taps in. Most filament resins are too soft to really hold threads well; even cheaper mass produced knobs ( which are generally made from harder plastics) use either brass or steel inserts where the set screw (and often, knob shaft) go, for longevity. You could always design a slot to hold a nut or a threaded insert in your design—this would be a clever way to save a bit of work also.

I don’t mean to discourage you, I’m all for DIY. But approach the casting, at least, with a sense of really needing to go through a number of less than workable results until you get the process nailed down a bit.

Love My Switches sells brass inserts.

View attachment 44963

Yeah! And as with most products that LMS sells, I’m fairly certain that if I search in the right place I’ll find these at 25%-50% of their price...

Love My Switches sells brass inserts.

View attachment 44963

Excellent! I had no idea. To use this with a filament print, I’d recommend very slightly under sizing your hole, and using a soldering iron to push the insert into it. You’ll need a way to keep it vertical.

For resin based prints, do not do this! Instead, plan on your hole needing to be just a hair oversized, and used a toothpick ends worth of epoxy to hold it in place. use a longer screw, with a tiny amount of oil on it before you glue it in place—ask me how I know. Since getting the set screw hole to line up with the hole in the pedal will be really tricky, I’d suggest having a mouse hole (as it’s known in the trade) and then you’ll only need to line up the rotational axis of the holes.

Excellent! I had no idea. To use this with a filament print, I’d recommend very slightly under sizing your hole, and using a soldering iron to push the insert into it. You’ll need a way to keep it vertical.

For resin based prints, do not do this! Instead, plan on your hole needing to be just a hair oversized, and used a toothpick ends worth of epoxy to hold it in place. use a longer screw, with a tiny amount of oil on it before you glue it in place—ask me how I know. Since getting the set screw hole to line up with the hole in the pedal will be really tricky, I’d suggest having a mouse hole (as it’s known in the trade) and then you’ll only need to line up the rotational axis of the holes.
Thank you so much for taking the time to reply with a realistic assessment! I’ve got zero experience on this, besides YouTube searches which probably actually puts me lower than zero!

For software, I’m working (but by no means skilled yet) with Fusion 360. I’m thinking of working up the design files, and then working with a friend locally or trying one of the online print shops… Noticed that JLCpcb is set up for that now...

So, just to brainstorm: if set screw/insert placement and installation is one of the sticky parts, what about casting a knob with a split or D-shaft design? Will resin be too weak for that kind of design?

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply with a realistic assessment! I’ve got zero experience on this, besides YouTube searches which probably actually puts me lower than zero!

For software, I’m working (but by no means skilled yet) with Fusion 360. I’m thinking of working up the design files, and then working with a friend locally or trying one of the online print shops… Noticed that JLCpcb is set up for that now...

So, just to brainstorm: if set screw/insert placement and installation is one of the sticky parts, what about casting a knob with a split or D-shaft design? Will resin be too weak for that kind of design?
If you cast in the spline pattern, or the D profile, you’d be fine, you may run into some slight size issues, because both the molding material and the resin shrink as they cure. And remember, this would mean a two part mold, which really complicates things.

if the resin you mention refers to a printed part, it’s too hard to say, based on how many platforms and resins there are. PLA, I’d be wary of; ABS or PET would be fine (I think) and something like CF filled nylon would be ideal.

Creality Ender 3 pro can be bought at microcenter with a new customer coupon for $99 when they go on sale here and there... it's an excellent printer if you set it up properly.... I've done some amazing prints in the last 4 years that ive had mine... There are some necessary upgrades to get good consistency .... I'm lucky enough that I have Cad for work so when I need something I can draw it out fairly quickly.. but tinkercad works pretty good and sketchup

I’ve had the idea kicking around of making custom shaped knobs, and with some of the 3d printer talk lately, I wonder if I could throw some questions out there to all you great people?
  1. Has anyone here done any custom knobs with any other methods? I’ve searched a bit, but haven’t really been able to find sources for brass inserts or (Boss style) reflective discs for knob tops.
I use a guy on Etsy to do custom wood ones for my basses and amps. That can get quite expensive, but he has been nice enough to just send me raw cuts and let me deal with the finish work, which makes it much more reasonable. I can’t get to my pics right now, I’ll try to post a few tonight.

Back