Newbie Questions Regarding Ordering Parts

Chuck: I followed what you said to the letter, you asked me not to quote the last couple of quotes, so I didn't think that you meant not quote anyone at all. What's the function for if I shouldn't use it all? No disrespect intended, but I am not sure what I did that was so wrong. Ok then.
You said:
A friendly piece of advice: don't requote the last couple of posts in their entirety. You can reply without hitting "reply."
Anyway, thanks for all of the ideas and help.

I am not new to forums, but am new to this. I apologize for the what apparently is clutter. It's just the first forum I have been part of that has asked this. I got it and it won't be an issue again.

A friendly piece of advice: don't requote the last couple of posts in their entirety. You can reply without hitting "reply."
What Chuck was saying is that you can edit what you are quoting either by deleting the parts that you don't want to reply to, or by selecting what you do want to reply to and using the "+ Quote" button next to reply. That way you don't have to copy the entire post into your reply.

Also, with regard to building a kit vs. buying a pcb and all the parts. I don't think there's a wrong answer. I started with kits, but in retrospect, I don't think that was necessary. The one nice thing about a kit (and the only nice thing in my opinion) is that you get everything you need to build the pedal in one order. But as @Fizz said, you can get pretty much everything you need from Tayda. Just remember that you're going to need other hardware that isn't on the BOM such as the enclosure, the footwsitch, jacks, the dc jack and some wire. Just take your time when your order to make sure you have everything. Also, there are plenty of helpful people on this forum that can help guide you through your first build.

Last edited:
One piece of advice he had was maybe I should suck it up and admit that I know very little and start with a kit.
I think you can do it. If I can do it then anyone can. This was very helpful to me getting started:

This is my favorite PCB vise/holder for soldering & inspection - adjustable vs x and angle. You can continuously adjust rotations from free spinning to frictional to fixed. When needed, it can be readily clamped to the table. Sturdy.

Attachments

• 3791-00.jpg
    3791-00.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 1
Since we're on the subject of helping hands and PCB holders, I'd be remiss if I didn't throw in a plug for something that has a magnifying glass and a light. Something like this is awesome. I also like the PCB Vice/Holder, but I'd be lost without the hands free magnifying glass. Sometimes I just solder right on the bench with the help of some blue tack, but I don't turn on the iron without turning on the magnifying light first.

I'm sure a lot of you guys (and gals) still have those young eyes and don't need this yet, but those parts are tiny, and being able to see what you're doing is half the battle.

1704240128149.png

Hey guys, I'm a newbie too. I'm looking at mach1 and chop shop ODs. However, I'm not sure how to order the parts from Tayda. I stay in Singapore and Tayda seems like the best option for me in terms of cost and shipping. Is there a way I can submit the part list to Tayda without doing the browsing part which I find very time consuming? Thanks in advance.

Back