No output on M800

JetFixxxer

Adjusted all drains J112/PF5102 to 5v.

Looked for cold solders, bridges, and cleaned the bottom.

Verified resistor value again.

Last edited:
I'm getting 470k from each green dot to Lug 3.

I need to setup a camera so I can record what I'm doing..

Try This!
Plug it In, Turn your Volume & Gain pots to Max.
Bass 10.00 & Mids, Treble to 2.00 O'clock.
Flip it over & Turn each Trimmer in order Q1, Q2, Q3, Q5, Q6 & Wiggle each Transistor to make sure it is making Connection by Ear til it gives the loudest audible signal if possible while hitting a Chord on the guitar.
Repeat Trimmer Adjustment 2 more times!
( Tone Trimmer to 9.00 O'clock)
Hopefully, It might fire up!

When I built mine (Fairchild J201), it was set to 4.5v on each Trimmer & it was not Good, I adjusted up to 5.5v in .25v increments.
It got Louder but was loosing Drive & Sustain.
So, I did what I have suggested above, It's very selective about jfets being = !
To dial it in where it works at its Best, This was it:
Q1 = 2.75v
Q2 = 2v
Q3 = 3.1v
Q5 = 4.71v
Q6 = 3.35v

Q4 = 8.65v which is Fixed , the Tone Trimmer is a Internal Tone pot!

4.5v is a reference voltage, Then you can fine tune.
I believe Members here got close to 4.5v on all trimmers, they used Siliconix J201's which I think are the most Stable ones.
They are Hard To Find & you pay a Premium price!!!
Ultimately, they should be all matched if you have a Stockplie of them!
Maybe J112/PF5102 are not an alternative in this circuit?

For clarification you want me to move all the trimmers to full. You want me tap again or just turn to full to see if they are audible?
Adjust the Trimmers that are Dead over their Full rotation & confirm if Audible which the Screwdriver should do?
Which Jfet is Audible, J112 or PF5102 ?
Update: I just did what you did in the video above & its more audible when you tap the actual Screw.
You only have to be a whisker off adjustment & there is a massive Volume drop on the Trimmers.
Try adjusting each Trimmer as I described by Ear to the most loudest sound point.
Even pressing too hard on the Screwdriver can have an effect.
You have to repeat this 2 times as each trimmer effects Voltage to the others.

Banging on the trimmers vibrates everything. The may well be an intermittent short or open somewhere. Try banging on just the board, not on a component.

I think you should audio probe each lead on Q1 & R4 again. We must have missed something. First set Q1's drain to approx 4.5V.

According to the schematic, turning the trimmers clockwise makes the resistance decrease. All the way to zero Ohms (more or less) at full CW. Here's the thing: depending on which trimmer you buy, the rotation could be backwards. Bourns trimmers come both ways. I have experienced this. Either end of the trimmer rotation will kill the gain of that stage because at zero Ohms, the JFET is driving a short circuit and at the maximum resistance, the JFET saturates (or gets pretty close to it). The trimmers interact in the sense that each one affects the level & distortion of the signal driving the next stage. You should be able to dial the drain voltages to 4.5V and get some sound to pass through the board. TRIM2 might be the only exception, 4.5V on Q2's drain might be too low because R8 is relatively large. On Q2's drain, I'd shoot for 6V for starters. PF5102 should work fine in this circuit, their specs are very similar to J201. Last I heard, we're not getting any signal at the GAIN pot. If that's still the case, then messing with anything downstream is futile at this stage in the game.

Set the Drains to 4.5v except for Q4 which is at 8.9v and gate 4.5v. If I tap the PCB and the also the enclosure I'm getting the audible pop. It's getting grounded somewhere.

You measured ~1Meg from GAIN pin 3 to ground, so no short there or on the other side of R4. You measured 470K from the junction of C2, C3 & R4 to GAIN pin 3, so we know R4 is good. You measured 22nF across C2, so it's good. Check the source (pin 2) voltage on Q1. Is Q1 tight in its socket?

2.9v on Source. It's tight in the socket...

I guess it a pedal that should have been.. I put too much time into this trying to get it work.

Last edited:
You must have a J112 installed for Q1 because that source voltage would be out of spec for J201 or PF5102. You should be getting signal on Q1-D that is louder than Q1-G. The resistance of TRIM1 must be set to around 4K ohms, which is pretty close to the end of the travel for a 100K pot. PF5102 would be a better choice for Q1, but it should still work with J112.

You are correct about the J112. I've been swapping J112 and PF5102.. I will put a PF back in Q1.

Set Drain to 4.4v and source is now .95v and getting nothing on gate.

Replaced two PF5102 with newer ones and now I'm getting some signal...

I think it might have been the J112.. I replaced all but one J112 and seems to be getting better.

Last edited:
Back