Noob question regarding soldering LED to PCB

Hi all - I am just starting out in building my own pedals, and had a question regarding which side of the PCB you would solder the LED legs, or if it even matters (as long as you have the polarity correct)?

With the components side facing up while mounted, would I run the LED legs through the backside and solder on the components side, or wrap the LED legs around the components side and solder on the backside, as I’ve done with all the components?

EDIT: The LED I am asking about would be the LED mounted to the enclosure, indicating whether the pedal is engaged or off.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Hi all - I am just starting out in building my own pedals, and had a question regarding which side of the PCB you would solder the LED legs, or if it even matters (as long as you have the polarity correct)?

With the components side facing up while mounted, would I run the LED legs through the backside and solder on the components side, or wrap the LED legs around the components side and solder on the backside, as I’ve done with all the components?

Thanks!
As long as you observe polarity and the led leads aren’t touching each other or other parts, it doesn’t really matter.

Electrically, it doesn’t matter. I think most of us solder it on the back side (with the pots and switches). If I’m using the standard LED position (as determined by the board) more often than not I solder it in with the board in place, pushing the LED in from the hole in the enclosure.

Electrically, it doesn’t matter. I think most of us solder it on the back side (with the pots and switches). If I’m using the standard LED position (as determined by the board) more often than not I solder it in with the board in place, pushing the LED in from the hole in the enclosure.
Same

I stopped fighting with that. Now I solder a wire to each leg and then cover each leg with heat shrink tubing. Can snake the LED to wherever I want.
Implying that soldering a wire to an LED leg is easy. How do you do it? I'm hopeless at it. Can;t splice them together at all :(

I'll take a picture tomorrow when I'm at my shop. Basically I use solid core wire, strip the end for the LED a little longer, and then wrap the exposed wire around the LED leg. The solder has no problem attaching, the "hardest" part is wrapping the wire.

Implying that soldering a wire to an LED leg is easy. How do you do it? I'm hopeless at it. Can;t splice them together at all :(

Hold each piece with blue tack, drop a dab of solder at the joint and you're donezo. The heatshrink is overkill imo but follow your bliss.

It's actually not, at least for me. I shorted and burned out a few LEDs when the legs touched each other in the bezel. It takes 20 seconds to do the to heat shrink. The wire I buy comes with heat shrink so I mise well use it

IMG_20230823_184926018_HDR~2.jpg IMG_20230823_184956030_HDR.jpg IMG_20230823_185023590_HDR~2.jpg IMG_20230823_185203177_HDR~2.jpg IMG_20230823_185230181_HDR~2.jpg

So here's the easiest way I do it. I used a scrap piece of 24awg wire and scrap LED. Numerical in pictorial order.
1. Strip one end of wire longer than the other
2. Wrap longer side of wire around leg
3. Twist wire around leg
4. Simple blob of solder
5. Cut off excess leg and wire. I cover with heat shrink since I've shorted a few LEDs, but it's not necessary.

I also use different color wire for each leg so I remember which is the anode/cathode. I like this because then I can put the LED anywhere on the enclosure and I'm not restricted to the pcb.

Back