SOLVED Obsidius Preamp no anything

FamousAmos

Howdy,

Just finished an Obsidius preamp which I though I was being pretty careful with building, however upon trying to power on the completed build the first time I get nothing. Already cleaned with IPA and reflowed solder but still nothing.

Any common issues with these guys you folks are aware of that I'm overlooking?

I'm new I don't know what to do 😭

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_20220922_161031380_1.jpg
    IMG_20220922_161031380_1.jpg
    326.3 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_20220922_161149229_1.jpg
    IMG_20220922_161149229_1.jpg
    326.9 KB · Views: 40
So I get just a clean signal passing through to the amp when the pedal is what I believe to be switched on. (led doesn't power on though. tested led before install). Even cranking all the knobs it's still just dead clean.

No odd warbling or squealing hissing or buzz either.

When I switch the pedal off. All signal cuts off/no passthrough.

So I get just a clean signal passing through to the amp when the pedal is what I believe to be switched on. (led doesn't power on though. tested led before install). Even cranking all the knobs it's still just dead clean.

No odd warbling or squealing hissing or buzz either.

When I switch the pedal off. All signal cuts off/no passthrough.
Sounds like you might have a jack wiring issue 🤔

Hmm...could that be for a particular board maybe?
I’m really not sure I’m about to look at the store for it and confirm
Update: couldn’t find it it might just be part of a batch that had those number on it? Again not sure but it look different.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: fig
The breakout board is fine, that's just a production code that is printed on a few of the boards.

Turn Blend all the way up, Level all the way down. If you still have sound you are in "Bypass" mode.

The LED could be installed backwards, or there may be a power issue affecting the entire circuit.

Got a DMM? If so measure the voltage on Pin 8 of one of the TL072 ICs.

So that breaker board for the foot switch looks a little different is that a normal 3pdt breaker board?
Update:
View attachment 32722
Notice mine do not have those numbers

Yeah it's a standard breakout, not one of the different ones they have for like a kliche or anything. No idea why it has all the extra numbers. I've only ever ordered these:

I have extras though should I try another one?

LEDs wired right though it's one of those pre-built deals from Lovemyswitches.

Yeah it's a standard breakout, not one of the different ones they have for like a kliche or anything. No idea why it has all the extra numbers. I've only ever ordered these:

I have extras though should I try another one?

LEDs wired right though it's one of those pre-built deals from Lovemyswitches.
Before soldering anything new I would check the voltages on your ics and post for each let’s narrow this down before we go jumping to more permanent actions!

The breakout board is fine, that's just a production code that is printed on a few of the boards.

Turn Blend all the way up, Level all the way down. If you still have sound you are in "Bypass" mode.

The LED could be installed backwards, or there may be a power issue affecting the entire circuit.

Got a DMM? If so measure the voltage on Pin 8 of one of the TL072 ICs.
Blend all the way up, level all the way down and I still have sound in one of the switch positions. Click it again and sound gone. So sound gone must be on.

Power jack was my guess after reading the LED wasn't lighting. Congrats on the quick fix!

Just want to mention that "Lumberg" jacks are often faked. The ones from Amazon are often garbage. I threw away a pack of 10 after an unusually high failure rate. The ones from LMS have proven high quality.

Back