OC44 Rangemaster

caiofilipini

Not a PedalPCB build, but I figured I should post it anyway.

I've been obsessed with treble boosters for the past few months. After some searching, I found this Mullard OC44 transistor that tested somewhat low for the recommended hFE levels for a treble booster, but I tested it anyway and LOVED how it sounded. So then I thought the OC44 alone wasn't enough mojo, and ended up finding some 1W Allen-Bradley carbon comp resistors, and a 5n6 Mullard mustard input cap. And once I found all that, I decided I should probably build it on a terminal strip, old school style. And to contrast all of that, I put it in a Gorva enclosure, and used a Gorva 3PDT footswitch.

I don't think it's the carbon comp, nor the mustard cap. I think it's the OC44. And it really doesn't matter, but this thing sounds killer! It instantly became my favorite treble booster so far!

Some pics:

PXL_20210211_031800232~2.jpg PXL_20210211_200320127~2.jpg

And a quick demo video:

I was perfectly happy with my amplifier until I heard yours in this demo..Then you engaged the OC44 and it got even better!?

Excellent looking and sounding build

You've proven hFE isn't absolutely crucial to a great sounding pedal

I've built 2 recently still not boxed them up one on tagboard using an OC44 and one on an etched board using a 2N404

I've been lucky recently with Mullards got a nice wee collection going quite a few from old transistor radios

You can get some great transistors from old radios OC81D, OC81, OC44, OC76 etc as well as Mullard germanium diodes

Reactions: fig
Back