Paragon mini (first pedalpcb build)

Boba7

Hey guys

First time working with a pcb from pedalpcb, and it went quite smoothly!

Just a KOT clone, with the latest updates from the freestompboxes forums:
- high gain / low gain resistor change (100k/1k)
- input cap is 22n instead of 10n
- low gain feedback cap is 47pf instead of 100pf
- 1N914 for the hard clipping diodes

For the soft clipping section I went with BA282, which are supposed to be exactly similar to the originals MA856. They sound very good, but I'm not sure 1N4148 would have been much different
I elevated the treble trimpots a bit with sockets, to allow a better access from the holes on the back of the pedals

That one is for a good friend of mine, I took my time to plan it and build it!

Cheers!

Attachments

• 1962 front2.jpg
    1962 front2.jpg
    951.1 KB · Views: 364
  • 1962 side2.jpg
    1962 side2.jpg
    888.1 KB · Views: 303
  • 1962 back 2.jpg
    1962 back 2.jpg
    789.9 KB · Views: 337
  • 1962 pcb2.jpg
    1962 pcb2.jpg
    930.2 KB · Views: 365
I see that you have some extra ventillation holes in the "bottom" of that enclosure. : ^ ) Nice way to proceed.

Haha yes they’re actually there to allow access to the treble boost trimpots and the dipswitches

Look up FARNDURK pedal, all his pedals were built like this. Used metal stamps for Lettering & filled with black epoxy.

I couldn’t remember that name, I’ve actually been looking for it! Obviously a big influence for me. I had come accross pictures of his pedals a few years ago, and really loved them
Dont think the company exists any longer though... ?

Nice job! Did you get your knobs from BLMS? Lotta cool build ideas here. Grouping the in, out and power wires together like Farndurk did could cause problems with high-gain pedals.

Nice job! Did you get your knobs from BLMS? Lotta cool build ideas here. Grouping the in, out and power wires together like Farndurk did could cause problems with high-gain pedals.

Yes, the knobs and dress nuts come from (B)LMS. Thanks for the kind words!

You're totally right about the wires. Actually when the enclosure is closed, the output wire goes right along the left side and the input wire along the right side, so they're pretty far apart. And on top of the pedal, the ground and 9v wires are the shortest I could make them.
No issues anyways, but I wouldn't do it that way with a really high gain or sensitive circuit, of course.

I was actually commenting on Farndurk's wire routing. It would not have occurred to me to assemble the box "upside-down." Now I'm tempted to try it out. Stamped lettering looks cool too. I wonder if the Tayda and SB boxes can take that without cracking.

I was actually commenting on Farndurk's wire routing. It would not have occurred to me to assemble the box "upside-down." Now I'm tempted to try it out. Stamped lettering looks cool too. I wonder if the Tayda and SB boxes can take that without cracking.

Tayda boxes can, I’ll confirm that. Just get a jewellers block or something under where you’re going to punch it or else the whole thing will have a nice dent in it...learned that the hard way :D

Farndurk went through a few different enclosures to find the ones that wouldn't crack.
He use to clamp some kind of Guide so he could put the stamp against it to keep the letters Straight.
Trivia : He deliberately ground the ''D'' offset. If you look at any of his pedals you will see the FARNDURK ''D'' is lower than the other letters!

Hey guys

First time working with a pcb from pedalpcb, and it went quite smoothly!

Just a KOT clone, with the latest updates from the freestompboxes forums:
- high gain / low gain resistor change (100k/1k)
- input cap is 22n instead of 10n
- low gain feedback cap is 47pf instead of 100pf
- 1N914 for the hard clipping diodes

For the soft clipping section I went with BA282, which are supposed to be exactly similar to the originals MA856. They sound very good, but I'm not sure 1N4148 would have been much different
I elevated the treble trimpots a bit with sockets, to allow a better access from the holes on the back of the pedals

That one is for a good friend of mine, I took my time to plan it and build it!

Cheers!
nice clean build, where did you get the font paint stamp for the labels?

Back