PCB Manufacturers

What do you use for a ground pad? I have not been able to find anything.
I would prefer to keep the ground pad solid, is there any issues with doing that?
Do I put a ground on the Capacitor or resistor/etc - that goes to ground, or should I just run a trace that connects all of the grounds?

Any net, whether it's ground or whatever, is going to need to be connected via trace or a plane.

I recommend doing the schematic first in Diptrace and then converting it to PCB. Then you can check connectivity etc.

For grounds (and there are usually many), I use a ground plane. I try to make most of my traces on one layer where it makes sense, and use the other layer for a large continuous ground plane. Apart from removing a lot of traces, it helps with shielding. If you have a lot of connections to a power net (VCC, vRef, etc) then you may want to think about making the other layer a power plane, or another ground plane.

When laying a plane, make sure you use spokes for the pads (under thermals). Else you will be heating the entire plane when soldering and this may not have positive consequences.

I have created two schematics, one that I use a grnd connection to required parts and one that I connect all grnds together.
I'm currently using the one that I connect all grnds together.
is there a tool in PCB software, that will allow for me to change the grnd pads?
(((or)))
This is my plan for now unless there is an easier way.
after running all traces, do the place copper pour and use the "route manual/trace tool" to connect the copper to the copper pour, will this work without issues?

also is there a way to change the grid snap size? currently at 1.27, want to set to .635

Thanks for all the help.

For the grounds (and other rails) in the schematic you’ll want to be using a Net Label as the thing that “connects” to other symbols in your schematic. In the standard diptrace component library I believe these are just under a section called “Nets.” Diptrace treats net labels as a type of component rather than a schematic annotation like some other editors. I also always double click important nets (ground, vcc, vref, sometimes Op Amp and transistor connections) to rename them for easier routing and identification once in the PCB editor.

The “update layout from schematic” function comes in handy if, like me, you forget to rename those nets until after you’ve opened the pcb editor.

For the snap size there is a dropdown list on the top toolbars, it’ll reflect the units you’re set up in.

I've been using 10mil for my traces with a ground plane on one side and a usually 4.5v bias plane on the other side (when it's an op amp schematic). 10 mil is the smallest that I think JLCPCB can/will make. You can get in between pads very easily. I'll usually do a 20mil for the power traces. I'm not sure if this is the right way to do it, but it's worked for my hobbiest experiment boards. There haven't been any issues with noise so far, but I do try to be mindful of my trace routing. Maybe I should increase the trace sizes for the signal path a little.

(will this work?) >>>after running all traces, do the place copper pour and use the "route manual/trace tool" to connect the copper to the copper pour, will this work without issues?

Is there any way to change the pad size in PCB mode?

(will this work?) >>>after running all traces, do the place copper pour and use the "route manual/trace tool" to connect the copper to the copper pour, will this work without issues?

Is there any way to change the pad size in PCB mode?
You shouldn't have to do that, if the layout is tied to a schematic you can assign a net to the copper pour and it will connect automatically where it's supposed to.

how do I do that? I've looked through the entire list option in the schematic.

can I change the size of pad/copper in PCB?

the rullywow library is the only thing I've found that has most of what I need

copper pad.png

I’ve done a few through Osh and JLC, and they’ve all been great. JLC is naturally cheaper for a run if 10-20.

I’m thinking about using SMD resistors and caps and having them assemble those, then I’ll drop in diodes and transistors because mojo and stuff.

how do I do that? I've looked through the entire list option in the schematic.

can I change the size of pad/copper in PCB?

the rullywow library is the only thing I've found that has most of what I need

View attachment 52776
So usually the first thing I do in a schematic is make (well, copy and paste from a previous schematic) the power supply section, and then rename those nets (usually “GND”, “VC”, and “VR” if necessary).

Then, when you bring that schematic into PCB Layout, you can tell your ground pour to “automatically connect to this net” (I don’t remember the exact wording, not at my computer) and select the “GND” net. That will indeed automatically do a pour and connect all of your GND pads together (assuming it’s all routable, that’s up to your layout).

If you’re using the rullywow library I’ve never felt the need to change any of the sizes of their components (which I believe are indeed 40mil holes in 80mil pads)

I found how to do it, grnd & pour, the grounds are solid and I think I'll be fine, I only use top grade parts so I am pretty over the top safe when soldering.

If you haven't found it already, you can right-click on a pad, choose Pad Properties, Type/Dimensions tab, and uncheck Use Pattern's Standard Pad Properties. The window will change to let you adjust the dimensions of the pad and the hole. You can even apply it to all of the pads. It's a killer feature--doing that in Eagle is stupendously complicated (unless I just never found the obvious easy way to do it).

Back