[PedalPCB] Derailer (TWE-1)

szukalski

This has been in a half-finished state for many weeks now as I focused on other work. Finally got it finished after ordering some MLCC and here we are..

Build
Straight forward build, I had to have a couple of capacitors snuggling to make values but nothing terrible there (unless you have a dirty mind).

Not to be outdone by @MichaelW , I snuck in a massive electrolytic because, why not?

ICs were MC4558L. I tried a bunch (RC4558, OPA2134, LM2904) but they sounded better to my ears. Haven't tried TL072 yet, maybe tonight..
I stupidly used wire which was too large for the footswitch PCB for the I/O cables. So I fudged them.

I used log pots based on ChuckD's comments in another thread (which are just common sense but we are all learning). Makes it a lot easier to dial in lower gain settings.

Tone
You've heard the demos. It's aggressive with fast attack, rich harmonics, blah blah. Really nice for that med/high gain stuff.

I have spent most of my time experimenting with lower gain because MichaelW likes that more and I know he was disappointed with the pedal on that front.

You can get some nice lower gain tones out of it, the controls can be a bit of an option paralysis, so I try to set them and forget. That said, if you go lower gain then I found you need more bright (pre-OD).

There are a lot of tones available here, the high-cut + presence need to work together, you can boost the PRES and then cut out the highs to taste.

My main takeaway is that it needs a boost to shine. It sounds great on it's own, but once I put a Modus Operandi in front (10-11:00) it took on a different face. Harmonics jumped out, more dynamic. Almost tempted to build a two-in-one with the Modus always on.. this was true across all gain ranges.

I wouldn't choose this as a low/med drive, there are so many other options which are better (Timmy, Golden Pearl, Chop Shop, Honey Beest, Awful Waffle, the list goes on). However, I could live with this and a Modus as my primary drive options and do everything I need/want to do without a grimace.

Graphics
Blackout with a faceplate. I have to admit I love a blackout pedal. Simple and classy. Next up needs to be a blackout with hot pink graphics.

de-1.jpg de-2.jpg

I didn't even think of using a boost in front of it to shape the tone. What a great idea!
Ok you've shame....uhm I mean.....inspired me to tackle the Chucky mods on this pedal and revisit.

Mine was an earlier build and I may wind up going all OCD and fixing a bunch of stuff...hahahaha.

Great looking build. I've never even heard of the MC4558L. "M" for Motorola?

I didn't even think of using a boost in front of it to shape the tone. What a great idea!

Great looking build. I've never even heard of the MC4558L. "M" for Motorola?
I don't know why I ever take the Modus out of the pedal chain, it's just great.

The MC4558L is just something I found from an ebay seller I got some Ge from. It's from Unisonic.

It's like a RC4558, not as "hi-fi" as a TL072. I have found it to work well, though I could just stick with TL072 and be done with it..

Back