DEMO Photon Vibe (LovePedal Vibronaut)

This post contains an audio or video demo

MichaelW

Build Rating
5.00 star(s)
Can you tell how I've really slowed down my build output this year? heh.....

This one looked interesting because of the Hi and Lo tone stack. Turns out they are only marginally useful but they ARE useful.

I had a hard time finding any one with stock of the Silonex LDR's but had a quick chat with a certain EE that hangs around here, wears a pointy hat and carries a wand. He said not to sweat the LDR's and the ones from Tayda are fine. So I wound up using the KE-10720's, they seem to work fine.

The real reason I decided to build this was because I had an extra 7371 Lamp from my Electrovibe build and it seemed a waste to just let it sit in my parts box :ROFLMAO: .

It's a pretty cool sounding vibe. Definitely has it's own thing going on compared the other two vibes I've built, the Electrovibe Mini and the EQD Depths (PCBGM Submarine Device)

I couldn't find any information on how to set the trimmers so after some experimentation I just set the Rate and Depth knob to noon and adjusted for the brightest and strongest pulse from the lamp. Seems to work well and gives me a nice range of sounds that I would be likely to use.

The board uses 1/8 watt resistors and this time I noticed it BEFORE pulling all the parts, so I used the correct size resistors. Still had to stand up the 5817's as they were a bit too long to fit laterally. But it all worked out fine. It's a busy board with a lot of components but as usual with PedalPCB boards, it's laid out so well that I got through the build pretty quickly. My 47u electrolytic caps are low profile but 6.3mm diameter and didn't quite fit in this tightly spaced board. So instead of having super cattywampus caps I decided to put it on the back of the board. The 220uf cap on the right end of the row didn't quite fit either but I managed to get it on although it's hanging off the board a wee bit.

I spent some time comparing it to my other two vibes and they each have they own voice. All three sound great but with their own nuances.

I recorded a demo comparing the 3 pedals below and doing a bit of knob tweaking.
I'd say if you're looking for a true "Univibe" sound then the Electrovibe is the way to go. But both the Abyss (EQD Depths) and Photon (LP Vibronaut) are cool pedals and very worthwhile builds!

IMG_4242.JPG

IMG_4241.JPG

First time using the dual Gand pot insulator from PedalPCB. What neat little contraption!

IMG_4240.JPG

I am a vibe fanatic, and I don't know why I haven't made these other vibes. I made the big version of the electrovibe, but I'm thinking that I need to expand.... Thanks for the demo. Great comparison.

I built a Photon Vibe and never liked it much. It works in a pinch but it's noisy, not chewy and not fast enough.

I really wish I could finish my Electrovibe!

I built a Photon Vibe and never liked it much. It works in a pinch but it's noisy, not chewy and not fast enough.

I really wish I could finish my Electrovibe!
The Photon is definitely not as chewy as the Electrovibe but it's slightly faster. If you want a fast vibe the Abyss is the fastest I've tried.

The photon sounds more like a straight phaser.
I definitely like the Electrovibe the best out of the bunch. It sounds the most like the "Deja-Vibe" I had for a while.
That was a decent sounding pedal, but one of those things that after I played my 2 Robin Trower licks I had nothing else to do with it.... :ROFLMAO:

K
The mesmerizer is a super chewy vibe.
That’s been my take on it also, and at first I expected that I had done something wrong, as it’s pushed as a harmonic trem, and while it sorta does that, it has more of a vibe vibe than some vibes I’ve owned—and I like the sound enough that I decided that rather than try and “fix” it, I should just build a second, and see what it sounds like. But after building the Pendulum, which as a harmonic trem seems close to perfection, I’m less curious. (Now I want to merge the fantastic wave control of the Lune with the sound of the Pendulum…)

K

That’s been my take on it also, and at first I expected that I had done something wrong, as it’s pushed as a harmonic trem, and while it sorta does that, it has more of a vibe vibe than some vibes I’ve owned—and I like the sound enough that I decided that rather than try and “fix” it, I should just build a second, and see what it sounds like. But after building the Pendulum, which as a harmonic trem seems close to perfection, I’m less curious. (Now I want to merge the fantastic wave control of the Lune with the sound of the Pendulum…)
I've asked @Robert in the past about an upgraded Pendulum with the LFO section of the Trembling Loon, he said it was something he's considering

I've asked @Robert in the past about an upgraded Pendulum with the LFO section of the Trembling Loon, he said it was something he's considering
I built a veroboard Lune way back, maybe 2008 or something, so the LFO section is pretty simple. My housing is one of my favorites, so I could see reusing it and just making the non-LFO parts of the Pendulum to throw in there. But a new pcb build, all on one board (and in a 125b) would be great… E7F63381-4EDF-489B-93F8-C5095DCA675F.jpeg

Back