PSA: Tayda's 125b enclosures have changed.

WheatAndBarley

Not sure if anyone has posted this yet so thought it might be good to get the word out. I'll also say up front I don't think this will affect anyone doing PedalPCB builds.

Tayda seems to have switched up their 125b enclosures, dunno if its a new supplier or what. I don't believe the dimensions of the face changed but the inside dimensions have changed a bit. The inside distance between the screw posts on each edge are about 2mm shorter.

This is a bit of a problem for me because I use a PCB with the jacks mounted on it and suddenly these assemblies don't fit. Been using these for hundreds of pedals over the last year and I had almost 40 orders to fill at the time so it was a huge stressor to have to deal with. I ended up having to trim the outside corners of the jacks down in order to fit, which I guess I'll have to do from now on unless I start getting them from a different place or change up my i/o boards somehow.

But again this is probably not going to be an issue for most people.

I have noticed recently that the PedalPCB drill template guide doesn’t fit square on top of Tayda’s 125Bs and has a decent amount of wiggle room.

If I leave the plastic wrap on while using my drill punch it’s better but still not perfect.

(Sadly they’re *still* a better fit for the drill guide than the 125Bs from StompBoxParts or LMS, which all seem to clock in smaller still)

I have noticed recently that the PedalPCB drill template guide doesn’t fit square on top of Tayda’s 125Bs and has a decent amount of wiggle room.

If I leave the plastic wrap on while using my drill punch it’s better but still not perfect.

(Sadly they’re *still* a better fit for the drill guide than the 125Bs from StompBoxParts or LMS, which all seem to clock in smaller still)
I add a layer of masking tape over the face of the pedal most of the time. Helps with the wiggle.

The last batch of enclosures I ordered were the LMS 125bs and the pedalpcb drill template/jig fit way more snuggly over them than it ever did any of the Tayda 125b enclosures.

@WheatAndBarley thanks for the heads up, could you measure please the inside width of enclosures (not the screw parts), the overall inside width please?
And then, if you could, can you measure the inside width between screw posts for the available width for jack assemblies?
That would be super useful as I'm just designing a board for that.
TIA

@WheatAndBarley thanks for the heads up, could you measure please the inside width of enclosures (not the screw parts), the overall inside width please?
And then, if you could, can you measure the inside width between screw posts for the available width for jack assemblies?
That would be super useful as I'm just designing a board for that.
TIA
Yeah I can get to that later today, and I’ll update with some pics! I do know offhand that the inside distance between the screw posts used to be about 51mm and now it’s about 48-49mm. I don’t have callipers handy so it’ll have to be eyeballed unfortunately.

I just received a white 125B from Tayda on Saturday and the distance on mine is 49.94 mm per my calipers. That's actually hair larger than the glimmer brown 125B I've had from them for about 4 months, which shows 49.78 mm. Just adding a data point.

Mike

EDIT to add - I was measuring about 3/4 of an inch in. since that's getting toward where the jacks would go and these screw channels taper in a bit. Measuring from the very edge of the case (where the back connects, the distance on both enclosures is almost 51 mm. So maybe Tayda is still mixing stock between the ones like I have and the new ones @WheatAndBarley received.

Last edited:
Yeah I can get to that later today, and I’ll update with some pics! I do know offhand that the inside distance between the screw posts used to be about 51mm and now it’s about 48-49mm. I don’t have callipers handy so it’ll have to be eyeballed unfortunately.
Totally forgot to do this before leaving town till Monday, sorry fam!

Hey y'all finally got around to this, crossing my fingers that these pics make sense.

The pink enclosure is the old 125b and the green is the new 125b. I lined up the screw posts at the top so you can see how far off they are at the bottom, hopefully you can see that in the pics.

The shorter edge between the screw posts measures about 50.5mm on the old one and 48.5mm on the new one. The long edge between the screw posts measures about 106mm on the old one and 104mm on the new one. This is just me eyeballing with a ruler, unfortunately don't own a set of callipers.

Hope this helps!

Attachments

• IMG_0886.jpg
    IMG_0886.jpg
    462.8 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_0888.jpg
    IMG_0888.jpg
    552.9 KB · Views: 54
The most obvious change is the screw holes for the bottom plate on the newer 125B's is centralized on the corner posts.
Looks like they have added more metal to the posts so Enclosed jacks will foul on the current Drill template also!

Not sure if anyone has posted this yet so thought it might be good to get the word out. I'll also say up front I don't think this will affect anyone doing PedalPCB builds.

Tayda seems to have switched up their 125b enclosures, dunno if its a new supplier or what. I don't believe the dimensions of the face changed but the inside dimensions have changed a bit. The inside distance between the screw posts on each edge are about 2mm shorter.

This is a bit of a problem for me because I use a PCB with the jacks mounted on it and suddenly these assemblies don't fit. Been using these for hundreds of pedals over the last year and I had almost 40 orders to fill at the time so it was a huge stressor to have to deal with. I ended up having to trim the outside corners of the jacks down in order to fit, which I guess I'll have to do from now on unless I start getting them from a different place or change up my i/o boards somehow.

But again this is probably not going to be an issue for most people.
Are you using the PedalPCB I/O Board?

Are you using the PedalPCB I/O Board?

No I'm using my own for my stuff these days. Looking at the specs it lists the dimensions as 1.85" which is 47mm so it probably would work. I might switch to a new jack once I'm through with these ones I have.

Attachments

• IMG_0898.JPG
    IMG_0898.JPG
    517.1 KB · Views: 46
No I'm using my own for my stuff these days. Looking at the specs it lists the dimensions as 1.85" which is 47mm so it probably would work. I might switch to a new jack once I'm through with these ones I have.
Is that a mosfet/zener-based polarity and over-voltage protection circuit? If it is, kudos to you. I've been using a circuit like that in all of my builds for the last six months or so, with JLCPCB's SMD assembly for the mosfets and resistors and through hole zener diodes from Tayda (no 9.1v zeners in JLCPCB's basic parts list as far as I can tell). I have no idea why that's not standard fare on every commercial pedal, especially with the proliferation of higher voltage power supplies? Are you doing the SMD assembly yourself?

Is that a mosfet/zener-based polarity and over-voltage protection circuit? If it is, kudos to you. I've been using a circuit like that in all of my builds for the last six months or so, with JLCPCB's SMD assembly for the mosfets and resistors and through hole zener diodes from Tayda (no 9.1v zeners in JLCPCB's basic parts list as far as I can tell). I have no idea why that's not standard fare on every commercial pedal, especially with the proliferation of higher voltage power supplies? Are you doing the SMD assembly yourself?
Sure is! It's a combination of this reverse polarity circuit and this over-voltage protection circuit plus some beefy TVS diodes to hopefully quell any errant ESD. I'm using a 10v zener in there, I don't think JLC has zeners of a useful voltage in basic parts at all. But yeah this circuit is a huge lifesaver, I really do believe every aspiring pedal company should be using something like this. A simple 1n5817 just doesn't cut it.

Not doing the assembly myself, I get all my stuff done as much as possible by JLC. I did invest in a hot air station earlier this year so I can tinker with stuff though, it also makes stripping components from other boards suuuuper easy.

Ok maybe the final update in this saga, I got a new batch of 125bs from Tayda yesterday and they seem to have fixed their issue. Each one in this new batch is measuring 51mm between screw posts on the short side and 106mm on the long edge. My i/o boards with a width of ~49mm fit perfectly now. Oh well!

Attachments

• IMG_0904.JPG
    IMG_0904.JPG
    362.2 KB · Views: 17
Back