Replacing a DPDT with a 3PDT LED switch in an MXR Dyna Comp. Can it be done?

Tleslie474

I’ll start this by saying I am a dummy, not an electrician, and by no means a circuit board guru. I am an above average DIY’er with considerable soldering skils. Long time listener, first time caller….
I want to know if it is even possible to (and obviously how to) replace what I believe is a DPDT (6 pin) foot switch in an MXR Dyna Comp with a 3PDT with LED foot switch? I am just starting to dabble in repairing my own pedals as this is the first one that has failed and I ended up with a few of these switches that I would like to use. Any assistance would be appreciated. Obviously, the new switch isn’t going to be a direct replacement to the board, but is there a way to jumper what needs to go where?

It sounds very possible. Can you post a pic to see what kind of room you have there, and how the current switch is connected?

The current switch is mounted directly to the board. There is not enough room in the existing chassis to accommodate the new switch, but I have an expansion box to accommodate the new switch which will sit atop the existing pedal about 3/4”. Yeah, I know, it’ll look like shit, but I’m all about Rat Rodding stuff! I have another stock MXR Dyna on my board now, so if this doesn’t work or looks too trashy it’s no big deal. Just tinkering and seeing if I can make it work. Thanks for any input!

You can use a smaller 3pdt basically a Dpdt is 2/3 of a 3pdt. You can use these lugs just like a Dpdt
1 4
2 5
3 6

And then lugs 7, 8, and 9 for the led. The cathode of the led would go on lug 8 and a ground wire on 7 or 9 depending on the on position.

3CD01E9C-7F69-4C2F-A3E5-E123DB606F96.jpeg This is a pic of the”new” switch I want to install. It has 3 external leads for the LED which is a red(off/stand by) and green(on/active). I know, over complicated, but pretty cool…. Lol. Thanks!

Oh yeah, I've seen those ones with the built in LEDs. Never used them myself but see them on build reports here occasionally.
I wanted to put one in my RAT also, but the existing switch looks too F€£¥&@G complicated to even get off the board!

Back