Reputable source for LM308N?

swelchy

Just finished up a pedalpcb Muroidea and realized when populating I ordered the wrong IC from Tayda... I got a lm3808 ... looks like the lm308N is counterfitted a lot.
I'm a total noob and haven't had a successful pedal completion yet... On my third attempt with kliche mini... I have a timmy pcb from another source and I have an Elsol from pedal pcb to populate as well.

Attachments

• Rat.jpg
    Rat.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 17
i've read the ebay ones are a scam... they sand and polish the top of the chip and reprint the model#... it's a crapshoot. I found that guitar pcb has some original in stock so I just hit the go button on that one for less than $10 shipped in USA

Reactions: fig
Just finished up a pedalpcb Muroidea and realized when populating I ordered the wrong IC from Tayda... I got a lm3808 ... looks like the lm308N is counterfitted a lot.
I'm a total noob and haven't had a successful pedal completion yet... On my third attempt with kliche mini... I have a timmy pcb from another source and I have an Elsol from pedal pcb to populate as well.
I’d recommend staying far away from eBay (at least the last possible option) unless you have experience with the seller, even then it’s a crapshoot.

Genuine LM308 $7.95

I used the OP07. That might be unsatisfying if you're dead set on getting the LM308 mojo, but it's a good substitute for the Rat.

Also, as Coda says, a TL071 will work. There are even those that prefer the TL071 to the LM308. Blasphemy, right?

Since you socketed you can always swap later.

I used the OP07. That might be unsatisfying if you're dead set on getting the LM308 mojo, but it's a good substitute for the Rat.

Also, as Coda says, a TL071 will work. There are even those that prefer the TL071 to the LM308. Blasphemy, right?

Since you socketed you can always swap later.
I find the TL071 has a clearer tone, OP07 a little less clear, and the LM308 less clearer still. It’s all the same tone, though. I know lots of people swear by the mojo of the 308, but there are lots of different op amps that will work fine…

I've A/B'd all of the go-to opamps in a muroidea against a vintage LM308N rat and they all sound exactly the same. It makes absolutely no difference to my ears. Even if you have absolute ears of crystal and genuinely can hear some small difference outside of the small difference you'd hear from two different LM308Ns from the same batch, there's no way that difference will be perceptible in any real world situation.

Obviously seek out the mojo part if it sparks joy (what is life without sparks of joy says i), but it is in no way shape or form necessary to get a rat that sounds exactly like every other rat (ie, amazing).

I've A/B'd all of the go-to opamps in a muroidea against a vintage LM308N rat and they all sound exactly the same. It makes absolutely no difference to my ears. Even if you have absolute ears of crystal and genuinely can hear some small difference outside of the small difference you'd hear from two different LM308Ns from the same batch, there's no way that difference will be perceptible in any real world situation.

Obviously seek out the mojo part if it sparks joy (what is life without sparks of joy says i), but it is in no way shape or form necessary to get a rat that sounds exactly like every other rat (ie, amazing).
I did the same thing. I tried like 6 different chips. The only difference I could hear was that the 308 was the muddiest, and barely. I really liked the crispness of the TL071. Modern Rats come with an OP07, and that sounds pretty good. I have my Rat sitting right here…I can’t remember if I have the 308 or the OP07 in it…you really can’t tell. The only difference is that you have to move the filter control a bit…

Back