Ribbon cable

I score each side a bunch with a blade, then I pull it off with pliers. I learned real quick that ribbon cable isn’t easy…
its such a tempting option but can turn to nuclear levels of frustration in a heartbeat.

edit:

aaaand a quick search turns up solid core ribbon cable and a set of those 'auto adjusting wire strippers' that can do flat/ribbon cable.
hmmmm

I only use pre-cut pre-stripped pre-tinned ribbon cables. You can get them at Stompboxparts and BLMS, as well as other places I'm sure.

I use the ones from LMS. I usually cut them in half, since they are usually a bit overkill. I rarely need more than an inch, more or less...

y'all need some automatic wire strippers to make your life easier for ribbon wire

iu

I have one of those parrot wire strippers. It doesn't work well with thin wires so I never use it. I just got some rainbow ribbon cable, will se if it works or not and report back.

This is the one I use. Love it. But it does not work well on Ribbon cable. I don’t see the point of ribbon cable personally. Just seems a lot easier to work with Buss wire.

This is the one I use. Love it. But it does not work well on Ribbon cable. I don’t see the point of ribbon cable personally. Just seems a lot easier to work with Buss wire.

I’ve just about arrived at the same conclusion…though that didn’t stop me from ordering one of Fig’s strippers…

…I also ordered one of the items from the link he posted…

My stripper for hookup wire…set it and forget it. Bus wire is my go-to for footswitch to pcb. This was my experience with ribbon…that doesn’t mean someone else can’t do better and I fully expect this to be the case. The very reason I wanted to use it (flexibility) was also a weak point of the cable (at the solder joint) and extreme care had to be taken to remove / replace the switch & pcb in / from the enclosure, as there are two ends to mind. The bus wire makes it easier for me because once soldered, it retains the shape (as long as you don’t go mangling the poor thing) and you can slide it in/out of the enclosure easily.

jOLHoEG.jpg

Sorry, I'm not an expert on strippers though I know what a hookup is. But not as a wire...

And what's the difference with bus wire? Over here if a bus runs on a wire we call it a tram or a streetcar.
I desire to know.

Back