Rockman X100 in pedal format?

Nice! It hadn't occurred to me that chorus wasn't onboard. Duh. I've never played any of the rackmount units, but I'd forgot all about the autoclean function on those.

I've tried it through the Princeton but not my Twin (yet), but yeah, it's definitely Rockman distortion.

I'll try it with the Twin (and in stereo into my DAW) later.... I just couldn't wait to yank the thing open and see what was inside.

the goat generator demo suggests that the auto-clean circuit is still under patent protection, but that seems unlikely at least for anything originally patented in the 19080s. the demo suggests that the "clean" button is just a gain boost (and that may or may not be accurate), but it seems like something truer to the original pedal could have been done there if it made a significant difference in the sound. maybe the overall circuit in the GOAT is quieter than the original and the boost was enough to "clean" it up.

Didn’t Dunlop buy Scholz’ company back in the nineties? They only seem to manufacture the little Ace headphone amps.
Just discovered this thread. Yep, Dunlop owns the Scholz circuit patents now, and they are notoriously tight-fisted about releasing the schematics, so it's cool that you guys seem to have already figured out the X100 PCB.

This might be a little bit of a hard segue, but I own one of the original Rockman "Sustainor" Rockmodules, which includes two switchable gain levels of that famous overdrive sound PLUS that crazy clean sound of theirs. In all the hubbub over that super-unique Scholz distortion sound, it's important not to forget how absolutely pivotal the Rockman CLEAN sound was to sooo many chimey, floatey or funky 80s guitar tracks: it had that special mojo that essentially allowed "humbuckers to sound like single coils" or at least that's the way I think of it.

Probably has a lot of DNA in common with their acoustic guitar simulation pedal, plus I think the fact that the Sustainor module has a compressor built into the BEGINNING of the signal chain (as opposed to the more common method of following up your preamp with compression after-the-fact)...plus the amazing sound of their high freq notching.

If that Sustainor clean sound could be backwards engineered into a PCB I'd for sure be first-in-line for that thing!

Back