Rockman X100 Rev 10 Pedal

Cybercow

After over a year of research, testing, development and prototyping, the Rockman X100 (rev 10) V2 pedal is done. This is the world’s first single-unit full Rockman X100 in a functioning, stand-alone pedal. At this point, only about 40 of the V2 units will be made - still using all the same discrete circuitry (with genuine MN3011 & MN3007 BBDs) as designed by Tom Scholz of Boston. A team of four techs labored over dozens & dozens of X100 (rev 10) units; measuring, testing, tracing, comparing to patent schematics, correcting, prototyping, more measuring, more tracing, more comparisons, thousands of scope measurements, schematic corrections, more prototyping trial & error, over every nuance of of the circuit. Ultimately only two of the researchers remain, and just Josh & I are finishing these beautiful monsters. (Josh is the head-chef of this whole project. I just sling the burgers, design the menus & mop the floors.)

EDIT 1/1/24: Added full schematics HERE.

We've added a few modifications to make this stand-alone pedal as versatile as possible. We've added a custom power supply circuit so it can be powered with a standard 9v @ 500mA, negative center, 2.1mm wall wart. The FX options also includes a "Dry" option. True-bypass footswitch. Sequential Mode & FX switching stomps with LED indicators. A controllable 'Compression'. Wider input trim control, ("Tone"), to provide that 'brown' sound. Headphone volume control. And a standard volume control.

The line-level output jack exhibits the same eccentricities of the original X100 - in that it mostly wants a TRS plug; but a mono plug can be used when inserted to touch both the tip and ring contact points by pulling the plug out by about ¼".

These Rockman X100 (rev 10) V2 pedals are using custom drilled & painted enclosure from PolyCase to house the rather large main PCB. The white line marks on the "Tone" and "Comp" pots indicate the rotational points at which those two controls achieve the X100 default settings.

V1 used original Rockman X100 Rev 10 PCBs that were unpopulated and with over 400 components, the whole project took anywhere from 40 to 60 hours to assemble. With ~90% of the components now surface mounted at PCB manufacture time, V2 builds are now down to 8 to 10 hours to fully wire and assemble.

Enough of the “blah-blah-blah” . . .. on to the photos . . . .

V2_Done_Powered_01.jpg V2_Done_Front_01.jpg V2_Gutshot_Done_01.jpg V2_Pre-Wiring_Prep.jpg

Last edited:
This is awesome, I missed this when it was first posted. I don’t think I’d have the patience for all that wiring haha. I like how you kept it as true to the original as possible. The original just had a slide switch for the modes right? How did you translate that to your footswitch set up?

This is awesome, I missed this when it was first posted. I don’t think I’d have the patience for all that wiring haha. I like how you kept it as true to the original as possible. The original just had a slide switch for the modes right? How did you translate that to your footswitch set up?
Yes, the original has a slide switch for the Modes and and a slide switch for the FX options.I translated the slide switches to a discrete logic circuit to drive a couple of CD4052 analog switches. And with the extra logic pair, added a "Dry" option to the FX.

X100_Switching_Schematic.png

The sequential switching development process for the MODE options . . . . .

X100_Mode_Switch_MUX_02.png

The sequential switching development process for the FX options . . . . .
X100_DCBE_Switch_MUX_Legend.png

Last edited:
I would love an option for buying a blank PCB and enclosure. That would be awesome for us pedal builders. :D
Such a project would be better suited for someone with a LOT of build time on their hands. Over 400 parts (3 page BOM), about 35 feet of hook-up wire, the BBD chips alone will cost almost $100 ($50+ for just the MN3011) and the finished enclosures cost $88 each when purchased in a lot of 10. In singles, a finished enclosure would cost about $135. Blank & un-drilled, the enclosure costs about $45. I don't know what the bare boards run. These are not an inexpensive project.

The project lead on this is not going to release all the data (schematics, BOM and notes) until sometime after March of 2023. If you're still interested after March, ping me and I'll see what I can do.

I would love an option for buying a blank PCB and enclosure. That would be awesome for us pedal builders. :D
Are you still interested in a set of the blank PCBs and enclosure? I have a couple of original X100 Rev 10 PCB sets (V1) and finished large enclosures. The schematic will be released here (and elsewhere) soon. The V2 version of the PCBs are yet being released. (Haven't got a shot of the switching PCB yet. I'll attach it later.)
Some of the parts on this build are hard to find or just plain expensive. It calls for two MN3007, an MN3101 and two MN3007. The MN3101 & MN3007 are fairly easy to find, but the MN3011 has one known reliable source on eBay and they're $45 each. (UPDATE/EDIT: on June 9, 2023 I discovered that the last known reliable source for MN3011 BBD chips has sold out. For the MN30112, you're on your own. Good luck!) The enclsoure alone (at 8.5" x 5.5" x 2.25") are $80

X100_PCB_01_Bare.jpg X100_PCB_02_Bare.jpg BC_Module_PCB.png AN-07P_Case_Done_01.jpg

Not to try and frighten anyone away, but here is the gutshot of a finished Rockman X100 (V1) build . . . .

X100_Wired_01.jpg

If interested, please DM me.

Last edited:
This might be the coolest project i've seen on this forum. Looks intimidating as hell but it seems like you guys have rolled up all the most sought after Rockman effects into one box. This is amazing. I have been trolling ebay for 10 years hoping to find a cheap X-100 but they just keep getting more expensive. I built the Proposition by pedalpcb and when I finally got it up and running it was one of the most satisfying pedal experiences I have ever had in my life.

This might be the coolest project i've seen on this forum. Looks intimidating as hell but it seems like you guys have rolled up all the most sought after Rockman effects into one box. This is amazing. I have been trolling ebay for 10 years hoping to find a cheap X-100 but they just keep getting more expensive. I built the Proposition by pedalpcb and when I finally got it up and running it was one of the most satisfying pedal experiences I have ever had in my life.
Thanks. We've done nothing truly innovative tho. (Except maybe the sequential switching circuit we designed.) It's really just an X100 rev 10 rehouse project with stompswitches instead of slider switches. We found some original Rockman X100 rev 10 PCBs, copied them, and Josh eventually re-drew the PCB so it's just one large board with all the switching circuitry and output boost so the pedal will can have unity-gain without being cranked.

Last edited:
There are lots of Rockman clones out there but I haven't come across anyone who has attempted the echo or chorus part of the circuit. you guys are on the cutting EDGE of reworked rockman innovation. keep up the good work!

There are lots of Rockman clones out there but I haven't come across anyone who has attempted the echo or chorus part of the circuit. you guys are on the cutting EDGE of reworked rockman innovation. keep up the good work!
Thanks! Over three years of study has gone into reverse engineering the X100. And we've only just recently, (finally), verified the schematics part IDs & values to the BOM. Every single component was hand measured across 15 different X100 rev 10 units. (None were harmed in doing so.) Getting it right has been a very rewarding experience. And now that the MN3011 BBD chips is nowhere to be found, the V3 version will be using an FV-1 to emulate the Chorus, Echo and Both FX. Several hundred man-hours were spent on achieving matching those BBD effects with the FV-1. Couldn't have done it that quickly without Digital Larry's "SpinCAD Designer" app. Thanks Larry!

Back