Signal chain/pedal board noise help

Diynot

Ok, so not a pedal troubleshooting per se, but this came up after putting my new Old Chap flanger (which is an amazing flanger btw) onto my board. The pedal works just fine and is dead silent when in bypass or by itself (also tried it with just my Ge sandspur and was fine), but if I drop it into my normal chain, I get a lot of digital background noise as heard here:
Doesn’t matter where in the chain I put it. Is this just a matter of needing some shielded wire on the inside? 808450AD-53F1-461B-B781-10140DD62876.jpeg
Any other mitigation steps I can take to keep this bad boy on my board?
Edit: signal chain might help Timmy->klon->Octarock->parenthesis->reverse—>swah->hydra->old chap

It really is the best sounding flanger I have built thus far. Yeah, it runs on 18v so I have a Dunlop wallwart powering it.
I would remove pedals one by o e to see which one is clashing with it, or put a buffer in front of it. Phasers are pretty sensitive, in my experience.

I've run into this exact thing with my old chap and current lover builds. In both cases, it was the analog delay I put in front of them. The star chambre and total recall being the worst offenders. To me, it seems like mistress style flangers amplify clock noise of pedals in front of them. I found that having a buffer at the beginning of my signal chain mitigated the issue or running the flanger before the analog delay.

Last edited:
I've run into this exact thing with my old chap and current lover builds. In both cases, it was the analog delay I put in front of them. The star chambre and total recall being the worst delay offenders. To me, it seems like mistress style flangers amplify clock noise of pedals in front of them. I found that having a buffer at the beginning of my signal chain mitigated the issue or running the flanger before any analog delay.
Good to know I’m not alone. Yours is the only other Old Chap build that I have seen in these parts. I did notice the same thing with my karaoke build, but to a lesser extent. Having the Klon on did mitigate the noise a bit but didn’t totally remove the noise. I have a couple of the jfet buffer boards I might throw one together for use in front of the Old Chap

It’s funny you mention this.
Good to know I’m not alone. Yours is the only other Old Chap build that I have seen in these parts. I did notice the same thing with my karaoke build, but to a lesser extent. Having the Klon on did mitigate the noise a bit but didn’t totally remove the noise. I have a couple of the jfet buffer boards I might throw one together for use in front of the Old Chap

I tried a Klon style standalone buffer I built years ago and like you, it helped but didn’t quite eliminate all of the noise. I recently purchased a polytune 3 and found that the built in bonafide buffer eliminated a lot of my clock noise bleeding in issues.

Back