Son of Ben

Sounds pretty bad until you get the jfets biased correctly (see directions on schematic), then its pretty awesome.
I couldn't agree more. Biasing goes from "is it broken?" to incredible sounding. One of my favorite circuits here.

Well done! Silkscreen again?

I was not disappointed in the Son of Ben. It’s funny, but I felt like mine is a bit hotter and beefier than the original demos I’ve heard, especially with a fender... and I’m not complaining one bit!!!!

May have something to do with the fact that I ended up installing a 1.6k resistor in place of the trim pot in the first gain stage. I had no luck dialing it in with the trim pot.

I used a 10K Trimmer when I read the Original had a 12K fixed resistor, 10k Trimmer allows for finer tuning.
I set it to 2k as listed in Schematic & it measured 3.65v on the Drain.
I adjusted it to 4v & it sounds the same.
Great Little Pedal!!!

It’s funny, but I felt like mine is a bit hotter and beefier than the original demos I’ve heard, especially with a fender... and I’m not complaining one bit!!!!

If you installed C10 (source bypass cap) that could explain the difference. According to Benson that capacitor was only used in the first 100 units.

Back