SOLVED Squealing Sunflower fuzz - dry sound passes through

pbliven

First pedal build ever, so bound to have some issues. When I power on the pedal the led comes on but it gives me the same dry signal, no matter the knob settings. And, the circuit squeals when I turn up the volume and fuzz pots, no real fuzz tone at all.

Here is the completed circuit below along with the Sunface schematic I used to source my components. The differences are, R4 470 Ohm is switched 680 Ohm and R2 33k Ohm is switched to 51k Ohm, sundial pot is 10k (instead of 5k) and R3 1k after the sundial is removed as per the sunface schematic (see pics). Also, I biased Q2 to 5v with the sundial at noon before I put the board into the case, now I can't get a reading without taking it back out. The reading on Q1 was .368v with the fuzz knob all the way up. BTW, the transistors are RCA 2n274 which are PNP germanium. When I measured the gain they came in as Q1 = 65 HFE and Q2 = 70 HFE. Those reading were with a small input current from one of those multi-function testers, called a TC1. So I have no idea of the leakage on the transistors.

NxdUiP8.jpg

nbz8gFN.jpg

I just built this one but haven't boxed it yet. I built the SunFace with BC108s

Where do you have your jacks grounded? And the fuzz pot is a C1K instead of B1K.

1677964395495.png

Just out of curiousity, the charge pump IC makes it so that I can still use center negative power supply, right? 'Cause I have the power supply hooked up that way.

Here's a shot of how the tapers of A, B and C pots work. Black line is a B, and green is a C. Both reach the full resistance at some point, just the C is a little faster to the top.

Screen Shot 2023-03-04 at 3.18.42 PM.png

OK, after looking at the documentation I re-wired the negative wires from the jacks to the spots on the board right next to the power leads and problem solved. I though I could just wire them to the box, but apparently they weren't making a solid connection and then I guess the board was left ungrounded.

Back