Sunflower fuzz

Harry Klippton

Here's a sunflower I built for a good friend. he mentioned wanting a germanium fuzz face and I happened to have a sunflower board in my stash for some reason.

No DC jack, no charge pump, no sockets, no bullshit. I still put in the protection diode cuz you never know. The battery is switched by the input jack.

You may wonder why I'd build it like that, and the answer is simple. I knew that's how he'd want it so that's what I did.

I auditioned transistors on the breadboard to get an excellent sounding pair, while going back and forth with my analog man sunface as a reference. I'd put this sunflower up against my sunface any time. it sounds exactly how a good fuzz face should.

I'm generally not a fan of external bias controls. I ordered my sunface without one. But I actually like the implementation of it in this configuration with the internal trimmer keeping the external pot in a nice range so I put it in.

It's no secret that I love using gold foil and this is no exception. I initially had a completely different vision for the artwork but sometimes the execution doesn't live up to the expectation, so I changed course a bit. I'll keep experimenting with my other idea until it works out. This sunflower came from just a pencil sketch in my sketchbook that I photographed and vectorized in inkscape. I made some modifications to the font I used as well, and drew the frame for the logo at the bottom.

Thanks for looking. This is one of my favorite builds I've ever done and I'm looking forward to giving it to my friend.
1000001926.jpg 1000001932.jpg 1000001927.jpg 1000001929.jpg 1000001928.jpg

Love the gold foil. I occasionally use gold foil printer paper but then have to print over the bits where I don't want the gold to show. How do you get the gold just where you want it and not over the entire top?

I love this so much! Great job. You are a good friend.

Ever think about adding a toggle switch to cut the power to the battery? I know it's a mod Analogman offers. I guess it's just a single pull switch with one end open?

Love the gold foil. I occasionally use gold foil printer paper but then have to print over the bits where I don't want the gold to show. How do you get the gold just where you want it and not over the entire top?

It is really beautiful. I am interested in your foil technique. Adds depth to your art work.
It's sunnyscopa no film gold foil. I used the same thing but silver on the conqueror I posted yesterday
I love this so much! Great job. You are a good friend.

Ever think about adding a toggle switch to cut the power to the battery? I know it's a mod Analogman offers. I guess it's just a single pull switch with one end open?
I don't need a toggle. The battery disconnects when unplugging the input

Thanks everybody!

Q2's all like:
826d8a57143612e42db049864dcef260.gif

Cool drawing & foil, dude!

Back