Stuff you wanted to know but were afraid to ask

I'm sure there's someone out there thinking long and hard about this but I would say it is a safe bet that it is no longer than the delay time itself. In a tape delay that's a function of velocity of the tape and the distance between the recording and playback heads. In a BBD delay it's a function of clock frequency and capacitor count. In digital it is determined by sample rate, sample resolution, buffer capacity, and delay time. A looper would have a larger buffer capacity, better sample rate/resolution, and a longer delay time than say a pt2399.

Most delays seem to repeat "one note" why not 3? Why not the last 15 second of what you played?
A delay should repeat everything you played, some time in the future of when you played it.

Imagine a tape recording what you're playing. A delay is just reading the tape shortly after it was recorded and playing it back... all of what you played is recorded and played back. Digital delay and BBD approximate this through sampling but do the same thing. It can't discriminate between one note and 3, it's dealing with a continuous time series input and a continuous (or approximate) time series output.

that part is true, first in first out ... in a 100% wet mix you're only hearing the delay and it will be everything you input just after the overall delay time takes place. because most delay is played with a dry-favored mix the "delay" you hear is the last bit of music the length of the delay time

how+do+they+work.jpg

took a minute to find a clean version of this but meant to use this since the thread started

Here’s a serious one: when using SMD components (4 J201, for example) that have already been attached to adapter boards, should/can I keep the boards attached to each other and install them in one row on the PCB? Or should I separate them?…

Here’s a serious one: when using SMD components (4 J201, for example) that have already been attached to adapter boards, should/can I keep the boards attached to each other and install them in one row on the PCB? Or should I separate them?…

There's no reason you shouldn't be able to unless the designer did something weird like connect one of the pins to a common copper plane.

What should I do with all of the pedals I have built, I think I have 150? Probably sold 50 of them.

I have had to stop since I have run out of places to store them all.
I have wondered the same thing. I have sold several, but some of them may be less desired. I have pondered going to our local music store and seeing if any of the students would enjoy them. Certainly, I would donate them to the budding musician.

Back