DEMO Super Stevie Overdrive High Gain (Lovepedal Super Six Stevie)

This post contains an audio or video demo

MichaelW

Build Rating
5.00 star(s)
It's a really crappy, dark and rainy Saturday here in Florida. It's also demo day! Getting caught up on some build reports.

First up is the Super Stevie OD. I think it was @ChrsGuit that inspired me to build this.

From what I can see it's a Timmy-ish drive. I built the "High Gain" version off the build docs and I'm second guessing that decision a bit. It's pretty gainy as opposed to the low gain drive it was meant to be.

Having said that, it's a pretty cool sounding drive. Nothing revolutionary here, just a nice sounding YATS/Timmy derivative in the high gain mod.

As always super easy build, low parts count and sounds great. Useful tone controls.

It would have been too obvious to record a demo of this on a Strat so I decided to go in a different direction by recording it on my "Tele-Tron".
(@xefned here's one example of Filtertrons in a solid body. Poplar body, TV Jones Classic and Classic Plus pickups)

IMG_5053.JPG

IMG_5052.JPG

I built both a few years ago and I prefer the stock/low gain version. Although I didn't think there was a ton of difference between the two.

What wire are you using?

BNTECHNGO 24AWG
Cool thanks. I'm on a quest for good wire! Does the outside melt easy? I bought a giant spool from LMS a while back and the jacket melts at the sight of the iron. At this point I'm just trying to use it up.

I also bought this a long time ago (WIRE) and I liked it better except it doesn't hold shape and has to be tinned. Other than that it was great.

Cool thanks. I'm on a quest for good wire! Does the outside melt easy? I bought a giant spool from LMS a while back and the jacket melts at the sight of the iron. At this point I'm just trying to use it up.

I also bought this a long time ago (WIRE) and I liked it better except it doesn't hold shape and has to be tinned. Other than that it was great.
Well it's not silicone covering but rather poly, so it does melt but I don't have too much of an issue with it. As long as you don't dawdle it works well.

It's a really crappy, dark and rainy Saturday here in Florida. It's also demo day! Getting caught up on some build reports.

First up is the Super Stevie OD. I think it was @ChrsGuit that inspired me to build this.

From what I can see it's a Timmy-ish drive. I built the "High Gain" version off the build docs and I'm second guessing that decision a bit. It's pretty gainy as opposed to the low gain drive it was meant to be.

Having said that, it's a pretty cool sounding drive. Nothing revolutionary here, just a nice sounding YATS/Timmy derivative in the high gain mod.

As always super easy build, low parts count and sounds great. Useful tone controls.

It would have been too obvious to record a demo of this on a Strat so I decided to go in a different direction by recording it on my "Tele-Tron".
(@xefned here's one example of Filtertrons in a solid body. Poplar body, TV Jones Classic and Classic Plus pickups)

View attachment 50643

View attachment 50644

On mine, I built the High Gain version but put R6 (supposed to be omitted on the High Gain version) on a toggle, which had interesting results... In one setting the pedal is quieter, more compressed, and higher gain... on the other, the volume increases and it adds quite a bit of clarity... it's almost Bluesbreaker'ish.
Not sure if this is proper protocol, but it's definitely a cool result..
I'm surprised adding/bypassing a 3k3 resistor could make such a difference

Holy lord, Michael, your clean tone is fantastic, as always. Great player, great guitar, great amp. Great combination.

All 3 positions sound nice. (I assume switch-up is neck position? TV Classic Plus in the bridge?) The combination of the 2 in the middle position is especially complex and fun.

Thanks for bringing out the Filtertrons for me.

Holy lord, Michael, your clean tone is fantastic, as always. Great player, great guitar, great amp. Great combination.

All 3 positions sound nice. (I assume switch-up is neck position? TV Classic Plus in the bridge?) The combination of the 2 in the middle position is especially complex and fun.

Thanks for bringing out the Filtertrons for me.
Yup, Up is neck down is bridge middle is both in parallel. Stock 3 way toggle wiring. And yes, Classic Plus in the bridge. Man I LOVE that bridge pickup with a little gain. The Tele bridge plate gives it that extra bite that you wouldn't get in a Gretsch or Les Paul style body.

Uhm.......good question :ROFLMAO: .
I don't, I have to usually look it up heh.

Seriously, most pedals are pretty simple to figure out. Level, Gain, tone.
When it comes to really whacky pedals, like the Low Tide I'm currently building, I bought the faceplate hahah.

Edit: when I build a pedal for my brother I have to put these cheesy little stickers on for him, or use a sharpie for the knob labels. He gigs with the pedals I send him and it drives him nuts not having labels hahaha

Do you at least write on the bottom of the pedal what it is (Mojito, Gravitation, Transcendence, Thumbsucker, etc...)?
That I do, I print little labels for my pedals. But I do them in batches. When I get 10 or 12 pedals done and I start getting confused what's what, I'll print up labels with a little thermal printer.

Back