Switched Jack Confusion

Ginsly

I've always been under the impression that all stereo jacks were considered "switched jacks" by nature of the TRS layout. I use them as Input jacks to "switch off" the battery when a cable isn't inserted. I'm wondering what would make a stereo jack like this "unswitched":

Screen Shot 2024-08-11 at 3.24.01 PM.png

I'm also not quite sure when one would need a switched mono jack like this:

Screen Shot 2024-08-11 at 3.46.45 PM.png

Or a 5-conductor stereo "mega-switched" jack like this:

Screen Shot 2024-08-11 at 3.42.05 PM.png

I'm wondering what would make a stereo jack like this "unswitched":
I'm not sure what Tayda's criteria is for being switched, those are switched jacks in my mind. I suppose technically they are "normalled" and "switched" could mean something else.

I'm also not quite sure when one would need a switched mono jack like this:
Or a 5-conductor stereo "mega-switched" jack like this:

Effects loops / patch bays/expression pedal inputs. When nothing is plugged into the jacks the entire loop can bypass itself.

Switched means it has a line disconnect built-in like the second picture. A regular TRS jack is unswitched which is what the first one is. The third mega one has two switches, one for tip and one for ring.

Switched means it has a line disconnect built-in like the second picture. A regular TRS jack is unswitched which is what the first one is. The third mega one has two switches, one for tip and one for ring.
To piggyback on this. The jack is switched when you’re using a stereo jack to disconnect the battery or 9v dc input.

The two middle ones are Switched stereo jacks turned into switched mono by removing the sleeve parts. It’s an FX loop/bypass setup. You can see the green wire connecting the two- it’s bypassed when they’re used so the signal goes out then back in.

IMG_1887.jpeg

I'm not sure what Tayda's criteria is for being switched, those are switched jacks in my mind.
That's kinda what I figured, but it seems like maybe the Ring acting as a switch in certain situations (i.e. batteries) doesn't technically qualify as "switched" the way the other two examples are. I feel like I've seen normal Stereo jacks referred to as Switched in other situations, adding to the confusion.
Effects loops / patch bays/expression pedal inputs. When nothing is plugged into the jacks the entire loop can bypass itself.
Gotcha. With a regular TRS or TS in those situations, an empty jack wouldn't seem to pass any signal through; Switched Jacks pass signal whether or not an external exp pedal or effects loop is inserted by essentially switching itself "off", sounds like. I think. :)
Switched means it has a line disconnect built-in like the second picture.
"Line disconnect" meaning it removes itself completely from the signal when nothing is inserted, correct?
To piggyback on this. The jack is switched when you’re using a stereo jack to disconnect the battery or 9v dc input.
Yep - I think it acts "as a switch" but isn't able to "switch itself off" like a truly switched jack would. Unless I'm misunderstanding something...
The two middle ones are Switched stereo jacks turned into switched mono by removing the sleeve parts. It’s an FX loop/bypass setup. You can see the green wire connecting the two- it’s bypassed when they’re used so the signal goes out then back in.

View attachment 79940
That picture is helpful thanks. If you had used normal jacks in this situation, no signal would pass through them when unoccupied by Loop Cables. With switched jacks, everything is still connected when you don't have a loop set up. Correct me if I'm wrong! Ha...

Back