Tape Echo (Magnetron)

SYLV9ST9R

Build Rating
5.00 star(s)
Nothing special here, just a stock build of the Magnetron. Pretty smooth build except for a dud LED (which I haven’t checked beforehand), and I managed to put the replacement one backwards at first…
I also thought it wasn’t working properly at first, because I had the Level knob fully CCW. I had sound engaged, so I figured out it’s a blend knob.
I really like the way it sounds. Tried it paired with a DOD250 as the pair will go to my brother-in-law as a birthday gift as my sister’s gift to him was a guitar. That combo sounded pretty good IMO.
The modulation is a bit wonky full on, but moderately, it adds a really nice character and I like that fully CCW, the mod LED turns off.
Probably my favorite PT2399 delay I’ve build so far.

Went with pretty much the layout and colour of the original for the design, and added a Nagra recorder because I found it fitted the tape theme well.

535787D9-3408-405A-9E8A-EF44BEDDAD63.jpeg E92A6A71-1166-4163-B34F-6B7B01BDA444.jpeg

Last edited:
That's really sweet! I kinda did the same thing on mine making the Mod knobs a different color so I could remember where to set them.

Both the Magnetron and Dark Rift are pretty awesome modulated delay pedals and suit me well in that they are a little on the "warm" side.
I was comparing my Magnetron with my Strymon El Capistan, and the stock "tape age/warmth" on the repeats is about equivalent to the El Cap
"age" setting at around 2 O'clock.

Very cool! Was the "Tape Echo" double strike a happy accident or intentional? I really makes it look vintage.

Back