THAT4316 Compressor

Bio77

Wanted to post some love for this great compressor. PCB was designed by @benny_profane based on a Wayne Kirkwood article. It came loaded with most of the smd parts, I only had to add the THAT chip and the through hole parts. The foot switch is BP’s too, it has a capacitor pined to the LED to soften the transition for the on and off. It’s a nice touch.

It’s designed to be a single knob compressor built in a 1590A. But after talking with BP, I decided to move the volume to the front panel and build it in a 1590B. Enclosure treatment is no-film decal on a weird Small Bear enclosure I had hanging around. The inspiration for the graphics is a production pedal circa 87-89, I think it fits with the color well. Circuit sounds great, it has a lot of compressing power, only needed a little when I used it with my bass.

IMG_3169.jpg
IMG_3168.jpg
IMG_3171.jpg

I AM everything compressor. Splain please. I've done the SSM from AMZ and the current sweetheart (and easily my fave to date) is MadBeans's Trash Compactor (THAT4305). What's this beast do? And for the record surface mount doesn't bother me. OK, it makes me a tad nervous but I have amazingly thin solder. Sort of a personal problem.

Back