Tool for tightening mini toggles with dress nuts?

Bricksnbeatles

Member known well
Anyone know of a tool for tightening mini toggles that use dress nuts? Since the dress nuts don’t thread all the way thru, my normal method is to tighten the dress nut fully onto the switch with the internal nut backed off a bit, and then tighten the internal 8mm nut firmly to secure the switch in the enclosure (and in cases where there’s enough room for two nuts inside, I’ll tighten the second one against the first to keep it extra secure). This is a super secure way of getting everything nice and snug with minimized chances of the switch coming loose ever, but it’s a hassle trying to get inside of there to tighten the internal nut with a pair of long bent-nose pliers. Anyone know of a good tool for the job? Seems like a flat stamped (like those 2mm-thick bicyclist wrenches) 8mm open-ended wrench with a bend 90° from the head, and another opposing bend to form a handle would be ideal, but I can’t find anything like that. If I had access to a CNC plasma cutter I’d be able to whip some up easily, but since I don’t, I’m curious if anyone knows of a suitable tool!

Anyone know of a tool for tightening mini toggles that use dress nuts? Since the dress nuts don’t thread all the way thru, my normal method is to tighten the dress nut fully onto the switch with the internal nut backed off a bit, and then tighten the internal 8mm nut firmly to secure the switch in the enclosure (and in cases where there’s enough room for two nuts inside, I’ll tighten the second one against the first to keep it extra secure). This is a super secure way of getting everything nice and snug with minimized chances of the switch coming loose ever, but it’s a hassle trying to get inside of there to tighten the internal nut with a pair of long bent-nose pliers. Anyone know of a good tool for the job? Seems like a flat stamped (like those 2mm-thick bicyclist wrenches) 8mm open-ended wrench with a bend 90° from the head, and another opposing bend to form a handle would be ideal, but I can’t find anything like that. If I had access to a CNC plasma cutter I’d be able to whip some up easily, but since I don’t, I’m curious if anyone knows of a suitable tool!
I've used wide rubber bands (like the ones that are used for bunches of asparagus) to tighten dress nuts and it's worked really well for me. Instead of tightening the internal nut last, you tighten the external one with your fingers, using the rubber band to keep a firm grip. It takes a couple tries to get the hang of it, but once you've done it a few times it's as easy as tightening a regular hexagonal nut.

I was about to finally teach myself openscad to make a rocket socket style 3d print for these and found this model (possibly by forum member @adrpedals ?)

Some of my dress nuts thread through and some don't. I don't have a good solution for the inside ones unfortunately but if you find something that will make tightening the internal ones nicer I would love to know.

I was about to finally teach myself openscad to make a rocket socket style 3d print for these and found this model (possibly by forum member @adrpedals ?)

I've printed that model, it works for the dress nuts I got from tayda. I keep meaning to get in and add wings to it since it's not as convenient as the rocket sockets, but it still gets the job done without.

I wasn't in love with how it turned out, I tried something a little different, I like this one better.

I wasn't in love with how it turned out, I tried something a little different, I like this one better.

You’re amazing. Thanks for sharing !

Hot off the presses.

Thanks for sharing!

569250EE-E92B-4611-BD16-A6B6BCEFABD6.jpeg

Back