Twin Face Fuzz

MichaelW

IMG_3047.jpg

As part of my continuing education in "fuzzology" I built a Twin Face which sounded like a cool project.

Many thanks to @szukalski for helping me sort through my meager stash of transistors to choose the right ones!

There are no curses in Orc-ish, Ent-ish, or Elvish to describe how much I detest using single pin sockets for transistors.
But I did not have enough of the T-05 style sockets and they seem to be out of stock everywhere.
I think broke a socket maybe 3 times trying to insert and audition transistors what a pain in the butt!

I wound up using MP16B's with Hfe of 52 in Q1 and 63 in Q2. This was not what I set out to do. I have some GT404's and GT408's that are in the more appropriate HFe range but they were giving me fits with getting them to work. They would intermittently work and then cut out. I thought it was the sockets causing the problem so I spent quite a bit of time screwing around with those but turns out that these are just super finicky transistors. The Ge side actually sounds really good to me with the lower gain MP16B's. Kinda snarly, rude and spitty. Made me want to play the riff with 21st Century Schizoid Man as soon as I dialed it in.

On the Si side I used 2N2222A and a 2N2222 HFE of 287-285 respectively. It's definitely the more "polite" side of the pedal but still rocks pretty hard.

Biased by ear.

I knew this was going to be a tricky build to fit into a 1590B with all the tall caps so I had to get a bit creative.
I wound up mounting a couple of the caps on bottom side to get them out of the way. Then tilted the board from front to back to lower the remaining caps so the back would fit.

IMG_3044.JPG

IMG_3046.JPG

Looks great!
Those are some kinky capacitors, leather shrink tubing?

I’ll need to check the low gain option, I’ve bread boarded 3 fuzz faces now but each one is only coming alive with active pickups!

If you like this, then the Gnat fuzz will melt your face!

The Twin Face was my first build (AC124/BC108). I was super thrilled by it. Several years later, and I never touch it...especially after I build a 109C Sunface. The Ge side on mine sounds the best. If I knew what I know now, the Si side would be better too...

I think those are electrolytics but I had the same thought!

“Bring out the gimp…”
That's correct, those are the two electro caps in the center of the board. In stock positions they would prevent the back cover from closing on a 1590B. I decided to shrink wrap them completely to avoid any shorts, but now that @Harry Klippton mentioned it.....it does look like leather and somewhat s&m-ish.....:)

Last edited:
The Twin Face was my first build (AC124/BC108). I was super thrilled by it. Several years later, and I never touch it...especially after I build a 109C Sunface. The Ge side on mine sounds the best. If I knew what I know now, the Si side would be better too...
I'm just wrapping up a Tone Vendor MKII and the Sunface is in my "to be built" list. I figured between a hybrid Ge/Si fuzz (Marigold), an Si fuzz (Acid Rain), Ge/Si switchable (Twin Face) and a full on Ge fuzz (Tone Vendor) I'll at least have the bases covered before venturing into the more esoteric fuzzes. Now you got me thinking maybe I need to build both variants of the Sunface:)

Back