Two LED’s in One Question…

Coda

Working on the PPCB Minnow. The build features an on/off LED and a rate LED. My pre-drilled enclosure has a single center-drilled hole for the LED. Could I use a two-color LED with a common anode/cathode?…

Working on the PPCB Minnow. The build features an on/off LED and a rate LED. My pre-drilled enclosure has a single center-drilled hole for the LED. Could I use a two-color LED with a common anode/cathode?…

When I've used bi-color LEDs, I switched between them.

I'm not sure how they will behave if both anodes are connected at the same time.

I’ve tested it before. Better results from red/blue LEDs than red/green LEDs
You can also get an RGB led and just clip away the leg for whichever color you choose not to use. Or you could tie together two legs.

Gotta think of additive color theory. If you have Red as your status indicator and Green as your rate indicator, when you’re engaged, you’ll have red alternating with yellow.
If you do green as your status indicator, and then tie red and blue together for your rare indicator, then in bypass you’ll have flashing magenta as your rate indication, and engaged you’ll have alternating green and white.

You can also vary the CLR of different values to mix your own colors.

1687367353148.jpeg

When I've used bi-color LEDs, I switched between them.

I'm not sure how they will behave if both anodes are connected at the same time.

For this build I was thinking that the cathodes would be shared. Thing is, the bypass LED goes to ground, the rate LED doesn’t.

Edit: saying that out loud, I realize I’m a dummy. Both LED’s go to ground (obviously). I was thinking of it in terms of the rate LED shutting off when the pedal is bypassed. Which is no big deal. I’m gonna try the common cathode…

For this build I was thinking that the cathodes would be shared. Thing is, the bypass LED goes to ground, the rate LED doesn’t.

Edit: saying that out loud, I realize I’m a dummy. Both LED’s go to ground (obviously). I was thinking of it in terms of the rate LED shutting off when the pedal is bypassed. Which is no big deal. I’m gonna try the common cathode…
Not sure why you're saying that the rate led doesn't go to ground... according to schematic, it does:

1687368420340.png

Not sure why you're saying that the rate led doesn't go to ground... according to schematic, it does:

View attachment 50869

I meant the same ground. The bypass LED goes to ground through the switch. I was thinking that because the rate LeD would go out when the pedal was bypassed, it wouldn’t. But it would. It’ll just go off when the pedal does. That’s fine for me…

I meant the same ground. The bypass LED goes to ground through the switch. I was thinking that because the rate LeD would go out when the pedal was bypassed, it wouldn’t. But it would. It’ll just go off when the pedal does. That’s fine for me…
Oh... yes... Switch off, both color off... switch on, solid color and blinking "mixed" color for rate... that's what I understand.

When I built my Cowgirl (Madbean Wigl), I used the rate LED as my bypass LED, wiring the rate-LED's ground to the 3PDT's ground.

When the pedal is bypassed, the rate LED is bypassed, when pedal is engaged the rate-LED gets connected to GND. Simple.

Oh, and it's just a single-colour red LED (12mm) that I used for the dual-duty Rate/Bypass.

Is it possible to make a common cathode LED a common anode LED, or are they stuck just the way they are?

Is it possible to make a common cathode LED a common anode LED, or are they stuck just the way they are?
No. I cannot think of any way you could convert common-cathode to common-anode — if you were to physically try that you'd break the LED's casing and destroy the LED. Not worth the time and effort to even try that, I'd just get the LED needed.
It's not like twisting legs around on a transistor to adapt a different pinout.

This 4-pin RGB diagram might help in understanding how common cathode vs anode work:
rgb-led_8qitceRYYl.png

diagram from here:

Hmmm... nonetheless, I found this RGB info:

Further info can be extrapolated here, maybe:

Very difficult to find anode vs cathode topics based on 3-pin bi-colour format.

I only have common cathode, and have a ton of them, and unfortunately some GuitarPCB builds I've done only use common anode. Had no idea these differences even existed until I did some research as to why my LEDs were not working in those builds. Btw, I really appreciate all of that info, some great reads/watches to check out this weekend.

I've turned on multiple colors on a tri-color led on a breadboard. It works, but I wouldn't recommend it because the result was underwhelming.

Back