Ungula build, slightly tweaked

cdwillis

Ok, first thing is this sounds awesome. I think it's going to replace the bigger EHX Sovtek Deluxe muff on my pedalboard.

When I was finished building it, I plugged it in, and as thrilled as I was that it was passing signal the first time, I was very disappointed that the volume at max was below unity bypassed volume. I double checked my resistor color codes and figured out pretty fast what had happened. I accidentally soldered in a 100 ohm resistor instead of 10k on the collector of Q4. My LED is a bit dim so I'm thinking about swapping to a smaller resistor for it, maybe a 2.2k? Other than that, no hiccups. I got the breakout board for the stomp switch which made it a pretty fast build.

I didn't have any solid way to hold the sockets in for the Q2 and Q3 transistor spots in so instead of socketing them I soldered 2n5088 transistors directly onto the board. I used sockets for Q1 and Q4. I would have liked to experiment more with transistors. It would have been nice if they were set up for TO-92 transistors so it would be easier to socket. From what I can tell the transistors EQD used for the Hoof would have needed the legs bent anyway (I think?). It has MPSA13s in Q1/Q2 now. I guess its a bit of a blend between the Hoof and the Cloven Hoof since it still has the LEDs in both clipping spots (but the CH has 2n5089s in the clipping sections). Overall, I'm pretty pleased with the results. I might see what a low gain transistor sounds like in Q1. I have 2n2222as and 2n3904s in my parts bin, plus a bunch of random lower HFE transistors I got to play around with fuzz face circuits.

Trying to figure out what my next build is going to be. I'm starting to experiment with dirt stacking, so something that would mix nicely with the Plumes I just got.

Back