Useful work find?

Locrian99

I work as the maintenance dept manager, and our building was built in 2019. There’s still some books and crannies with stuff left over from construction that just hasn’t gotten tossed yet.

Today I found a box of these.

652904B4-234C-417A-89C9-2135455DC063.jpeg

I’ve never done much looking into making power supplies but I’m assuming this could pretty easily
Be turned into a pedal power supply with a regulator for the appropriate voltage. And if I used one of these for each jack it would then be isolated ?

You could certainly step the voltage down and use these to make power supplies. You'd use a single one per unit with isolation transformers to isolate the outputs. Since it is rated for 1.3A, you could probably power 5 or 6 pedals on each (assuming you've got two power-hungry digital pedals on your board). Not sure where to actually START, though. Might be expensive

it's an LED driver, you'll need filtering.
Probably not worth the trouble

Put them on eBay and buy a good psu with the proceeds.

Yes, but you'll need dc-dc bucks, more filtering, etc.
Then you have the odd shape. It *can* be used for something, but for that something it's used for, it's far from ideal. no better than a random DC supply from goodwill.
Unless OP has some 15v devices...
OR wants to convert some T8 florescent fixtures to LED.
If one wants to build a dedicated PSU, the little Meanwell AC-DC modules are probably the best place to start. They're cheap and would give dedicated isolated outputs. If I was going to build a power supply, I'd build with those with an AC input lc rfi filter with filter caps and ferrites on the DC outs.
Anything less, like this, and your better off just getting a Chinese power brick for $30.
But if OP wants to hack one together, go for it. It's doable.

Yes, but you'll need dc-dc bucks, more filtering, etc.
Then you have the odd shape. It *can* be used for something, but for that something it's used for, it's far from ideal. no better than a random DC supply from goodwill.
Unless OP has some 15v devices...
OR wants to convert some T8 florescent fixtures to LED.
If one wants to build a dedicated PSU, the little Meanwell AC-DC modules are probably the best place to start. They're cheap and would give dedicated isolated outputs. If I was going to build a power supply, I'd build with those with an AC input lc rfi filter with filter caps and ferrites on the DC outs.
Anything less, like this, and your better off just getting a Chinese power brick for $30.
But if OP wants to hack one together, go for it. It's doable.
true.
i’m guessing these probably aren’t as good as a real isolating power transformer

true.
i’m guessing these probably aren’t as good as a real isolating power transformer
Led supplies are often really noisy. They also emit a lot of rfi. Cheapest build possible. The bulbs are terrible too. A lot of times not much more than a clipping diode as a half wave rectifier, a cap and a CLR.

Led supplies are often really noisy. They also emit a lot of rfi. Cheapest build possible. The bulbs are terrible too. A lot of times not much more than a clipping diode as a half wave rectifier, a cap and a CLR.
yikes 😵‍💫

Back