What can I make with these Ge transistors?

slowpogo

Hello! I've made a few Ge fuzzes but am not really familiar with the various classic circuits. I am wondering what else I might be able to make with what I have.

Below is a list of my Germanium transistors, with gain noted. Unfortunately I don't have a way to measure leakage but I believe these were all advertised as "low leakage" fwiw.

What could I make with these? Thanks!

NPN
MP35 – hFE 67
Generic NPN – 96
Gen NPN – 40
Gen NPN – 137
Gen NPN – 37
AC187 – 63

PNP
Mullard OCP71 – hFE 45
MP42B – 61
MP42B – 47
MP42B – 51
MP20B – 78
Gen PNP – 84
GT402B – 151

Hello! I've made a few Ge fuzzes but am not really familiar with the various classic circuits. I am wondering what else I might be able to make with what I have.

Below is a list of my Germanium transistors, with gain noted. Unfortunately I don't have a way to measure leakage but I believe these were all advertised as "low leakage" fwiw.

What could I make with these? Thanks!

NPN
MP35 – hFE 67
Generic NPN – 96
Gen NPN – 40
Gen NPN – 137
Gen NPN – 37
AC187 – 63

PNP
Mullard OCP71 – hFE 45
MP42B – 61
MP42B – 47
MP42B – 51
MP20B – 78
Gen PNP – 84
GT402B – 151
That mp35 and ac187 would make awesome rangemasters! You can also make a fuzz face. For Q1 I have 61hFE and for Q2 I have 112 hFE. You have some there that’ll do for NPN or PNP.

Thanks everyone. I don't have much use for a treble boost, but I might as well make a fuzz face, kinda surprised I haven't yet! the Carmine/Crimson Drive sounds pretty rad too.

The Chickenhead is a Rangemaster with a tone knob. Can do some great boost with tonnes of bass if you are wary of the treble-side of the Rangemaster.

Fuchsia Fuzz is a good one, and a Gnat, or Buzzaround will take your face off.

You can put a blend pot at the input of a range master with two caps, one small and one large, ex 4n7 and 1u, for more tones.

You have a couple of Fuzz Faces in there, the high gain trannies can be used in a Peppermint Fuzz (though I suspect those use hFE of 200+) and if you have enough leakage you can try some Tone Benders.

Don't limit yourself to the typical Fuzz Face values. Vox Tone Benders are cool too.

Germanium Fuzzrites work with all kinds of gains. 30+ and you're good though for me right now the sweet spot is 70-80. Add a 10nF cap from input to ground to tame the noise.

Don't let the name fool you. Treble boosters add hair and just cut unnecessary low end in a band mix. You can change the input cap to add more bass back in. The really low gain transistors can be used as a ge diode.

Don't let the name fool you. Treble boosters add hair and just cut unnecessary low end in a band mix. You can change the input cap to add more bass back in. The really low gain transistors can be used as a ge diode.
Which leg is the cathode and which is the anode?

My understanding of treble boosts is they are used in front of a woolly amp, to push into breakup while adding top end. My amp and guitars are already quite bright. But as others have said, there are variations with tone knobs/switches I might consider

I think the name “treble booster” is misleading. They should be called like “bass cutter” or “mid-high pusher” because that’s more what they do, pushing the mid range into overdrive while keeping the bass a bit lower. :)

I think the name “treble booster” is misleading. They should be called like “bass cutter” or “mid-high pusher” because that’s more what they do, pushing the mid range into overdrive while keeping the bass a bit lower. :)
I find it useful for every humbucker guitar.

Back