What is your favorite "Big Muff" circuit, and why?

The only one I keep on the board is the Basic Audio Alter Destiny. I use BAT42 in the second stage and it hits me just right, not your typical BMP tone. The Fat and Mid knobs make it a lot more flexible for what I look for.

I'm surprised the Blackout Effectors Musket (PPCB Bayonet) didn't get a mention. I had thought that one got a lot of love among people looking for a more tweakable muff.

Last edited:
I agree with Szukalski - Basic Audio Alter Destiny. Maybe it's a southern hemisphere thing? I love how low the gain can get and yup - the Fat and Mid knobs make it my Best In Category. If only someone would trace it.

Before I built my muff, I researched and listened to clips of all the variants I could and decided I liked the Triangle. So that's what I built, and it turned out as I liked, and satisfies any muff need I have (mine has a mid knob). I also have a Acid Rain, which is a slightly different take without its clipping diodes. I haven't gone down the rabbit hole of all the others though, as these two have got me covered.

I just remembered that I also rather like the Colorsound SupaFuzz which is a Big Muff without clipping diodes on one of the gain stages. That's a good one too but my fave is still the brilliant Alter Destiny.

Mayonnaise is my favorite at the moment but I adapted a Shika board to build a Champion Fuzz Unit last weekend after reading about it in this thread and it's definitely going into the rotation.

Back