What is your favorite Overdrive ?

I like the BJF / Bearfoot Honey Bee. Especially with single coils. There isn’t one here but Aion has a pcb, and I built mine on vero.

the Fairfield Barbershop is also great. But it’s pretty bright so I don’t personally consider it that “bluesy”.

Big fan of the Hermida Zendrive-based Mahayana Drive. My favorite OD pedal at the end of my pedal chain. Great on its own, or really great after fuzzes or distortions to give a nice thick creamy boost to the dirt. The way I like to use it is with the Tone pretty low (around 10 o'clock) and the Voice quite high (around 3 o'clock) - not bright, but still very clear. And the Drive also quite low - between 9-12.

I built mine on vero, but the PedalPCB layout looks really neat.

mdma, ethos, paragon, xotic bb preamp, tommy, les lius, zen drive

Last edited:
For me, it's the MDMA. I use two of them! I've tried the Ethos, Paragon, and Tommy, but they didn't stay on my board for long.

Oh well too many choices... (yes it's possible!).

I think I will go with the Mahayana Drive (Hermida Audio Zendrive) and MDMA ( Wampler Ecstacy/Euphoria) and see what happen next.

I really feel that those "not too heavy OD" are so dependent of the guitar being used...

These days I tend to prefer the ones that DON'T have opamps. Try the Aldrin or one of the variants, I posted info in the Modifications forum on how to build a Screw Driver or a Hybrid Fuzz Driver on the Aldrin board. The Pink Purple Fuzz is also worth a listen. What I like about all of these is they have a large tonal range and they don't overwhelm your guitar's tone. The HFD in particular does a good job of emulating that tube amp breakup sound. The JFET-based distortion units are pretty sweet too. I have the Covert and the Corduroy and they have some great tones. Have you checked out the demos of the "real" pedals on YouTube?

I use an EQD Dunes (or "Oasis", as the kit is called) on my board, feeding my Jet City 50H and my Orange Dual Terror.
It is a beautiful sounding OD with a lot of options. My LP with a P90 on the neck position and Volume dialed back a little sounds just glorious. Hairy, greasy, crunchy. My favourite OD ever.

Have you checked out the demos of the "real" pedals on YouTube?
Since I'm not an encyclopedia and pedal connoisseur, I always listen to demos from "the original" before deciding to go with a PCB or not.

I finally settled on Mahayana and MDMA and will probably build them in January once I got all the parts. I will report as usual on the Build Report forum.

My favorite overdrive is and has always been a Turbo RAT set for lower gain. Runners up would include the Expandora, VFE Alpha Dog, and Honey Bee Overdrive.
The op-amp Muff Fuzz (not Big) is also great for worn speaker type blues overdrive tones

Back