What is your favorite PedalPCB Compressor?

What is your favorite PedalPCB Compressor?

• The Creamery

Votes: 4 14.8%
  • Thumb Sucker

Votes: 2 7.4%
  • Delegate

Votes: 1 3.7%
  • Delegate Boneyard

Votes: 3 11.1%
  • General Tso's

Votes: 12 44.4%
  • Byrdhouse

Votes: 4 14.8%
  • Constrictor

Votes: 1 3.7%

• Total voters
I’ve only ever built one: the Byrdhouse. I pretty much only use the high tone setting, both knobs cranked (it’s a Dyna-comp, it is the only way). The Low setting is good for tracking bass…

I voted Delegate Boneyard despite never having built (or played) any other compressors.

But that's the kind of quality information you get when you ask the internet...

The General Tso is the next compressor in my wishlist - primarily due to @MichaelW 's regular testimonials. I think he's got build reports/ demos on nearly all of them - I'd go back and read through those if you're looking for a good comparison.

To answer, I'd have to have built them all (I my have played through some version of each)...which have you built and what are you looking for in a compressor?
I've built the Delegate Boneyard edition. I think I messed up somewhere because it is EXTREMELY subtle. I can't get a squishy comp tone but it works well for sustain and boost. I'm thinking of building something that doesn't rely on a photoresistor.

To answer, I'd have to have built them all (I my have played through some version of each)...which have you built and what are you looking for in a compressor?
I'm just guessing that there would be some people here who have built 2-3 different kinds. I think I've built 5 overdrive/distortions so far :)

Reactions: fig
I voted Delegate Boneyard despite never having built (or played) any other compressors.

But that's the kind of quality information you get when you ask the internet...

The General Tso is the next compressor in my wishlist - primarily due to @MichaelW 's regular testimonials. I think he's got build reports/ demos on nearly all of them - I'd go back and read through those if you're looking for a good comparison.
I will definitely look into the General Tso. I am hesitant to use photoresistors again but I'm willing to try again.

For a squishy effect, I vote for the Creamery.

For something utilitarian (like your Delegate Boneyard), Thumbsucker.

Then I'd build the General Tso,

followed by the Constrictor.

I myself wouldn't bother with the Byrdhouse, Dyna/Ross comps are a Dozen-a-Rupee. They work for other people, though.
For the Creamery, it looks like the MPS4124 are not available on Tayda or Digikey. When I searched google for NPN TO-92, the 2N3904 came up. I'm going to have to do some research if I want to build that pedal.

I've built the Delegate Boneyard edition. I think I messed up somewhere because it is EXTREMELY subtle. I can't get a squishy comp tone but it works well for sustain and boost. I'm thinking of building something that doesn't rely on a photoresistor.
You should build a General Tso but with VTL5C4s instead of rolling your own LED+LDR, no headache and sounds *fantastic*.

You should build a General Tso but with VTL5C4s instead of rolling your own LED+LDR, no headache and sounds *fantastic*.
Hold up, is that something I can use instead of an LED+Photoresistor? Like the 3 pins on each side go into their related components spots?

Reactions: fig
I wish I knew. I have finished my Boneyard Delegate this week... but due to a severe lapse in judgment where I left all of my power supplies at my drummers house.... I have not been able to power it up.

Hold up, is that something I can use instead of an LED+Photoresistor? Like the 3 pins on each side go into their related components spots?
I mean, technically, it *is* an LDR and an LED (inside a blackout plastic casing), but it’s manufactured and QA’d by a company with rep and customers to lose if it doesn’t perform up to spec in its intended applications.

So if you don’t wanna risk rolling your own and ending up with a bum LED+LDR combo, and you have a few extra bucks to spare, I highly recommend going with the VTL5C4.

Back
Top Bottom