What plectrum does everyone use?

I use 1.25-1.5mm nylons. None of the other typical pick materials seem to hold up as long

I have grown to like thicker picks over the years, so for me it's either a winspear shiv or the john petrucci flow picks from dunlop. I think I prefer the winspear but the flow picks aren't bad at all for the price.

I'll never understand how yall play with picks thinner than 1.0mm lmao

I simply can't and won't do it. No disrespect that's just me. It makes sense to me for acoustic guitar strumming but not electric
I love a thin pick with a low gain single coil guitar. I can get a lot more intimacy, and a softer touch.

I like the fender felt ukulele picks. They are thick and hard at first, but once they soften I like them.
Edit : I use them on the bass

Attachments

• 2022-09-08_11-58-20.png
    2022-09-08_11-58-20.png
    91.4 KB · Views: 1
I’ve tried many different types and material of picks. Some were fun for a while or a novelty. But for years I’ve used jazz iii’s ultex. I use both the 1.14 and 2.00mm. I’ve tried and lost the chicken picks badazz iii 2.5. They were good but I didn’t think they were better than the dunlop just different. I don’t think I tried them long enough to get used to them. I’ve used steel and stone picks. Recently I’ve tried the Dunlop flow picks, the variety pack, I like them but haven’t settled on a thickness. I’m not a fan of the jumbo flow picks but I used jazz iii for years which are tiny. Now I switch between the jazz iii’s and flow to see which I prefer. Though I have found it more difficult to switch from the flow pick to the jazz iii than from the jazz iii to the flow pick.

Dunlop Tortex 0.73mm for electric
Snarling Dog Brain 0.73mm for acoustic
Dunlop Delrin 2.00mm for bass occasionally, but lately I've switched over to more or less fingers only

I've tried some of the non-traditional shapes and materials, and just didn't find anything that I was comfortable with.

John lee Hooker, Les Cunningham, Burton... never touched a pick I don't use 1 for bass and flip a coin if I want 1 for higher tuned instruments. can't say I've bought 1 either :unsure: , always get extras when I order stuff from juststrings, cabinettech or need a specific luthier part from solo guitars... even got 1 from a distributor of walrus audio pedals when I ordered a lillian with alternate paint scheme!

Lately it's been these 1mm Dunlop Tortex Jazz III XL picks. I gotta have a pointy pick and the regular Jazz IIIs I used to used years ago are just too small and too thick. I mean they're great of accurate metal or jazz picking, but I'd always end up losing them when I'd strum. Thick picks are just no good for strumming. These 1mm picks are almost too much. I think I need to try the green or even yellow ones. I really like the Flow picks too, but I lost the handful I had in the laundry.

Screenshot_20220908_143835.jpg
I thought I had contributed here but I didn't see it as I read back through it.

At first, I used green tortex on everything for over a decade but I've been on snarling dogs brain picks since they appeared in my local shop. Orange 1.14 is my go to for baritone and bass (but I almost never pick my pbass) green is too thin but I've been using them for strumming 12 string for a year or so. Likely to go thicker when I run out.

Side note, the little box they come in make them super economical for me. I've never misplaced my pick box like when I bought bags only to see them dissipate into the aether over the course of a few weeks.

I've found these fender medium 354 to be excellent on electric guitar for me, I turn it on its side for bass vi to get a little softer thump. Nice while palm muting.

Fig picks have all the mojo so I wouldn't dare sully them with my filthy instruments. Wouldn't want to rub off any of that paint. It is nice and thicc tho.

Last edited:
Dunlop Tortex 0.73mm for electric
Snarling Dog Brain 0.73mm for acoustic
Dunlop Delrin 2.00mm for bass occasionally, but lately I've switched over to more or less fingers only

I've tried some of the non-traditional shapes and materials, and just didn't find anything that I was comfortable with.
I also prefer to play fingers only on the bass. I don't like the sound of the pick on the strings... I guess that's why I go for felt when I use one.

I also prefer to play fingers only on the bass. I don't like the sound of the pick on the strings... I guess that's why I go for felt when I use one.
Playing bass with a pick makes my hand cramp too, I tried when I first started out and just gave up. Been using my fingers for over 35 years.

As well as my favourite Dunlop grippy grey 88 I use my middle and ring fingernails. They vary in length and gauge constantly. I rarely drop them.

Earlier this year I dropped a piece of timber onto my left big toe and lost the nail. Well, I didn't lose it so much as it came off. I managed to keep it and tried it as a pick but it was a bit disgusting so I stopped. I still have it somewhere...

Back