What Rotary Switches Do You Like?

Ginsly

I'd love a recommendation for A) a decent pcb-mounted rotary switch and B) a decent solder-lug version from Tayda et al? Seems like 1P8T and 1P12T are the two major ones to look at..? I realize each project calls for a specific kind of switch and this may be annoyingly general, but I'm looking to get a few of the most-used ones for off-board and pcb use. I need to order from Tayda, so I'd love some links!

I haven't delved into that world yet, and I can already see that the shafts are typically knurled (and oddly short?) or D-shaped plastic (eew), making it possibly difficult to have a matching set of knobs on a pedal that presumably would have mostly 6.35 smooth shafts.

It'll mostly be for switching between different capacitors, etc - nothing too crazy.

The 16mm rotary switches (1P8T for example) are great when space is limited but the larger Alpha 1P12T rotary switches are far more reliable/durable and can be limited to any number of positions with the stop washer.
This is exactly the kind of info I was looking for! Thx Robert! Ping me when ya can, I have a package for ya. :)

I can already see that the shafts are typically knurled (and oddly short?) or D-shaped plastic (eew), making it possibly difficult to have a matching set of knobs on a pedal that presumably would have mostly 6.35 smooth shafts.
Lovemyswitches sells adapters that can make round shaft knobs work better with d and t18. My go to knobs are available in t18 and I keep a few on hand but I have used the adapters in a pinch and can vouch for them, but for a personal build a round shaft knob will typically (IME) stay put without one.

lmao I was about to say you could probably make a pencil's eraser ferrule work in a pinch too, I'm gonna steal your method
I DID have to sand the outside a bit to get them to fit all 6.35 knobs I had, but now they work great! Interior fits 6mm smooth and knurled like a glove. I’ll see if I can find the link…

If you have a lathe (or just a drill now that I think about it), get some 6mm I.D. Tube and just sand it at a relatively high speed until it’s the right outer diameter

I found some uninsulated copper crimp ferrules that are just 6mm tube at 12mm lengths, I think the OD might be able to squeak through and I’d just have to cut them in half. Only thing stopping me from buying them is wondering if I could ever possibly use 200 of them in my lifetime

Lovemyswitches sells adapters that can make round shaft knobs work better with d and t18. My go to knobs are available in t18 and I keep a few on hand but I have used the adapters in a pinch and can vouch for them, but for a personal build a round shaft knob will typically (IME) stay put without one.

I've done that with 90% of my rotary switches. Just tighten the set screw and it has always worked just fine for me. Used on the Arachnid board, which I turn the switch often, never had it skip/jump.

Back