What's on the workbench?

OK, mystery solved.

Today I removed the diodes to reveal the silkscreen. They are in fact oriented opposing as they should be.

D2 is open in my pedal, giving wonky in-circuit measurements.

@kanengomibako
I can also now confirm that they are indeed BAT85S.
I am relieved to know the diode model number clearly.

Actually, the one I analyzed had "D1" open (before analysis). I wonder if this is a coincidence...

I am relieved to know the diode model number clearly.

Actually, the one I analyzed had "D1" open (before analysis). I wonder if this is a coincidence...

Ahh now that's suspicious. I also measured across the clipping diode pair before removing the epoxy (from R6 to VREF) and it was open in one direction.

The diode appeared to have been intentionally crushed when I removed the epoxy.

I just assumed "Ahh well, maybe I broke it?" ... but that bothered me because I didn't use excessive force or enough heat that should have damaged the glass...

Since yours was also open that makes me wonder if the diode is a decoy, especially when taking the decoy transistor into consideration.

The pedal sounds completely different and the Gain control is much more manageable without that diode in circuit.

Last edited:
Crushing a decoy diode seems excessive to me. I wonder the they have broken ones laying around and use those.
Unless they don’t know it’s a decoy diode. Maybe when developing it they broke a diode and they were like “omg! I discovered tone gold! The secret to a good crunchy tone is to crunch a diode,” not knowing that breaking it just makes it as if it’s not there at all

Unless they don’t know it’s a decoy diode. Maybe when developing it they broke a diode and they were like “omg! I discovered tone gold! The secret to a good crunchy tone is to crunch a diode,” not knowing that breaking it just makes it as if it’s not there at all
Except that it's now an ungrounded tiny antenna

It lives! It doesn't squeal, whine, or hum! 3+ days off and on over these snow days (education has plusses and minuses) and finally sussed it out. Sushibox SmPS for plates (220, which is lower but fine) and a separate 12vdc supply for filaments and the Arduino for switching and LCD screen

3 Marshall preamp channels:

Parallel triodes 18watt with individually biased cathodes (lite iiB style)
Plexi with an M/N taper fader between dark and bright channels
Modded JCM800 from ampgarage ideas. Brighter but mean

This is a proof that I can do it. So now, on to the 4 channel Fender preamp, and then other fun preamps. You don't want to see the front - it's a repurposed telecom rack chassis from work

Attachments

• IMG_20240114_172640__01.jpg
    IMG_20240114_172640__01.jpg
    495 KB · Views: 55
Back