Where is everyone fabbing PCBs?

ThePanda

I am in the middle of designing my BluesBreaker and curious where is everyone sending there files to get pcb boards fabbed.

My design is currently mapped out in Kicad.

JLC's order process and turnaround time are fine and it's hard to beat their pricing. I prefer OSHpark and DK Red for prototypes since for me they tend to tolerate rework better than JLCPCB boards, and look a little nicer, but neither are economical for typical pedal applications.

I'll take a look again at JLCPCB. I have been meaning to use them to make a faceplate for my Bassman amp.

Thanks all.

I've probably done like 10k boards through JLCPCB at this point. I'd say 98% of the time they get things perfect. Occasionally I get some boards back with light scratches on the solder mask or little specs of it missing. That's fairly rare and I just end up tossing them or saving them for giveaways.

The weakest bit about JLC is their silk screen printing isn't all that great. It's just not as crisp as some other manufacturers. Sometimes it's perfect. Other times less so.

Yeah, JLCPCB... and I've been using EasyEDA. I've laid out several boards, and they're all working so far...
I spent a few hours on it the other day to see if it could replace DipTrace but couldn’t gel for a couple of things (custom font control and manual routing ) so I went back to ole trusty, broken on Mac, DipTrace.

I'm another happy JLCPCB client. I've used OSH Park too. I think aesthetically the OSH Park boards are nicer looking, but the JLCPCB boards are fine and it's hard to beat being able to get 10-20 pcbs manufactured then sent to my door for under $20.

I'm another happy JLCPCB client. I've used OSH Park too. I think aesthetically the OSH Park boards are nicer looking, but the JLCPCB boards are fine and it's hard to beat being able to get 10-20 pcbs manufactured then sent to my door for under $20.
I finally stopped ordering 15 or 20 boards every time time I use JLC. Just so tempting, but I almost never actually need even 5 and my last order came in at under 6 bucks, shipping included. Three would've run me around 24 bucks at OSH.

I have a related question for those who order PCBs from PCBWay or JLCPCB.

They have many options you can tweak when you start an order... are the defaults all good for pedals, or are there specific settings that need to be changed?

Also, are 1.6 mm think and 2-layer the standard for most PCBs?

Screenshot 2023-06-14 at 11.48.17 AM.png

I have a related question for those who order PCBs from PCBWay or JLCPCB.

They have many options you can tweak when you start an order... are the defaults all good for pedals, or are there specific settings that need to be changed?

Also, are 1.6 mm think and 2-layer the standard for most PCBs?

View attachment 50532
The defaults are fine. The only things I ever bother to do is specify a location for the order number and change the PCB colour.

If you are doing a faceplate, then you can make it thinner.

Back