Why is my Honeysuckle noisier than my Scream Honey?

joelorigo

I was comparing my Honeysuckle and my (20% better version) CKK Scream Honey. There is a good deal more noise when on but not playing in the Honeysuckle. What causes this? Is there anything that can lower the noise floor?

post gut shots of both, and what type of noise? When you say on, but not playing, do you feel the noise level drops with a signal, or is it just masked by the signal?

Every component has a baseline noise level. Resistors, caps, etc. A slightly flawed solder joint can work, but add noise. Wire runs in the pedal can pick up noise; sometimes moving a lead 1/4 inch can make things quieter.

I‘m not familiar with either pedal, but some circuits are more noisy than others. (I’m guessing these are both based on the same design, but not exact duplicates in terms of schematics.)

post gut shots of both, and what type of noise? When you say on, but not playing, do you feel the noise level drops with a signal, or is it just masked by the signal?
Thank you for responding.
The noise is the hiss/buzz as one hears in high gain. I feel like the noise I masked while playing. Photos of the Honeysuckle and the Scream Honey are attached. I think it's pretty obvious which is which:)
Every component has a baseline noise level. Resistors, caps, etc. A slightly flawed solder joint can work, but add noise. Wire runs in the pedal can pick up noise; sometimes moving a lead 1/4 inch can make things quieter.

I‘m not familiar with either pedal, but some circuits are more noisy than others. (I’m guessing these are both based on the same design, but not exact duplicates in terms of schematics.)
I don't know about that. I always assumed the PCBs available at PedalPCB are exact or near exact designs of the "compare to" pedal. This is the Honeysuckle:

Here's my original build report with some in progress photos:

This is the Scream Honey:

Attachments

• IMG_6767.JPG
    IMG_6767.JPG
    393.5 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_6471.JPG
    IMG_6471.JPG
    523.3 KB · Views: 21
Well, looking at those boards, it’s obvious! You’ll note how the Skreddy board has every component at a different angle, and some are sloped up, and some are sloped down. And then, the pedalPCB board is so ordered. Everything is either up and down or sideways, and pretty much flat to the board. The Skreddy orientations confuse the unorganized noise electrons, while the signal electrons, who work in unison, make it through unscathed.

(just kidding…)

I didn’t realize that they were based on the same circuit, and Robert does a great job of that.

I wonder if the socketed diodes are loose; those small diode leads are very thin. Try tinning them, and then re-inserting them.

But Skreddy is also using some expensive parts in there. 0.1% resistors in some locations, and what I expect are styrene and PP caps, etc., which could also account for some of the noise difference. I’ve never seen gut shots of their pedals before; that’s pretty impressive.

Edit: I’m not sure where I got Skreddy from; please substitute CKK for Skreddy in my reply!

Well, looking at those boards, it’s obvious! You’ll note how the Skreddy board has every component at a different angle, and some are sloped up, and some are sloped down. And then, the pedalPCB board is so ordered. Everything is either up and down or sideways, and pretty much flat to the board. The Skreddy orientations confuse the unorganized noise electrons, while the signal electrons, who work in unison, make it through unscathed.

(just kidding…)
:ROFLMAO:
I didn’t realize that they were based on the same circuit, and Robert does a great job of that.
That's for sure!
I wonder if the socketed diodes are loose; those small diode leads are very thin. Try tinning them, and then re-inserting them.
I will check on that thank you!
But Skreddy is also using some expensive parts in there. 0.1% resistors in some locations, and what I expect are styrene and PP caps, etc., which could also account for some of the noise difference. I’ve never seen gut shots of their pedals before; that’s pretty impressive.

Edit: I’m not sure where I got Skreddy from; please substitute CKK for Skreddy in my reply!
What is the benefit of "styrene and PP caps?" Higher quality?

Um, tonight comparing them, they have the same noise floor. I don’t know. To make this comparison I am using a switcher and last night the Honeysuckle was noisier in both of the loops I tried. Tonight they are the same in both loops.

I tried these 2 pedals on a different amp, different guitar and different location. The CKK has slightly more noise! At least when the signal is guitar - Scream Honey - Honeysuckle - amp. When the pedals are switched, probably about the same noise. Powered by an old Power All daisy chain. What to make of all that?!?

Back