Wrectifier Distortion (Triple Wreck) boost

the_grumpy_gnome

This Wrecktifier circuit is a favorite of mine and I've built a few now. In one, I added the boost section that's part of the original Wampler circuit. if anyone else is considering it, I've had good luck using this:
Note: This isn't a clean boost. it's sorta fuzzy/fizzy and not great on its own, but adds a "charged" characteristic to the circuit. I can play pinch harmonics galore.

There was a thread on freestompboxes.org about the boost. The consensus was to use a sho instead of the one that comes with the Wampler. I've made both (and even modded the Wampler boost - it got a little better but didn't compare to the sho). I highly recommend the sho as a boost for the triple wreck. I, also, like running this at 18 volts.

There was a thread on freestompboxes.org about the boost. The consensus was to use a sho instead of the one that comes with the Wampler. I've made both (and even modded the Wampler boost - it got a little better but didn't compare to the sho). I highly recommend the sho as a boost for the triple wreck. I, also, like running this at 18 volts.
I'm familiar with that post and did the same exact thing you did. I agree in that most people will like the SHO better, but I like both. Also, with the SHO you can run both at 18v (which sounds great).

sweet, I own the original actually so I may look into modding the boost on it as I seldom use it because I don't really care for it, plus I'd like to be able to choose between 9 or 18V.

sweet, I own the original actually so I may look into modding the boost on it as I seldom use it because I don't really care for it, plus I'd like to be able to choose between 9 or 18V.

Adding a charge pump (a simple circuit) and a switch will give you the ability to switch between 9 and 18. FYI, the stock boost sounds kinda crummy at 18, but the SHO (and actual distortion circuit) sound great.

That's true but I have iso power bricks capable of either voltages so I probably wouldn't add that 9-18V charge pump option internally. Since I'm modding the pedal I have to see how limited my options are changing the boost. Will report back when the mod is done.

Back