XC Phase has a tiny canary in it

jhaneyzz

Finally getting around to wrapping up an XC Phase build.

Everything is cool except when i am in Block mode there is a sound like a tiny squeaking porch swing. Interestingly, if I just listen for a while and don't play, the pattern and frequency of the noise changes from time to time.

I've tested a lot with the trim pot but as soon as I tune this noise out, I'm kinda out of the effective range. i.e. it stops phasing.

This is a board I build before I learned to socket my transistors in addition to my ICs.

The pedal works fine in every other mode, but Block is where the magic is at for me.

Any thoughts about where to start?

APC_1215-hdr.jpg

I had a similar issue with my vero build version of this circuit. Also only in one of the modes. It was a weird noise that was adjustable with the rate control. It really just took some really fine tuning with the trimmer fix.

I had a similar issue with my vero build version of this circuit. Also only in one of the modes. It was a weird noise that was adjustable with the rate control. It really just took some really fine tuning with the trimmer fix.
Good to hear it's not just me.

I'll keep fiddling.

I just built an XC Phase that is exhibiting the same behavior. Plus a bit of vacuum cleaner blended in too. The block mode only, and it’s unusably loud. I have not started troubleshooting yet.

I have the same issues with block mode. Gave it to a friend so I haven’t been able to check it out. The transistors were matched, but I don’t think I measured them beforehand.

my experience was that it wasn’t really possible to balance the phasing with the trim pot at a setting that suited either mode - i would have to have it set for either script or block mode.
to me block mode (the one with negative feedback engaged) just sounded worse in every way. script mode sounded best. so i left the switch out.

i find this strange because i really like the influence of negative feedback in the mutron and ross phaser.

FYI,

I re-ran the In and Out leads with shielded/grounded cable, but no change to the issue with Block mode.

I tried the entire sweep of the trimmer as well. the only time the chirp/tick goes away is when the trimmer is set to basically make the phaser not phase.

Sounds fine in other modes however.

IMG_7271.jpg

Back
Top Bottom