Zap Machine v2 (Double Tap Fuzz)

steviejr92

Authorized Vendor
Hi everyone!

This build was made possible due to @fig handing out those Build of the Year gift cards! This was one of the circuits that i ended up getting! Thank you @fig!

The Zap Machine by EQD is a fuzz circuit utilizing silicon and Ge transistors. From what ive researched this pedal is quite rare and unheard of. I actually saw a video on Youtube from Grey Bench Electronics where he opened up the pedal and went through it. He ended up doing a 2nd video about it and this time he made his own circuit. I believe that version is here at the store as well. The circuit is awesome and one of the better fuzzes that are out there in my opinion. Highly recommend this build if you need another fuzz. Who doesnt right?

From looking at the schem it looks like the first 2 gain stages are using silicon BJT transistors. 2n5089 and 2N3904 respectively. For the 3rd stage it uses a GE transistor which is biased to 4.5v. I had a 2N1304 laying around with an hfe of 44 on the CCT and .023ua of leakage. I went low gain because I saw thats what Grey used in his build. He said the circuit sounds better with low gain GE trannies in it. Everything else is pretty straightforward. The build is easy and the symmetry on this one is beautiful! The way @Robert lays out his boards, theyre always a welcome to build.

I ended up using a prototype enclosure i built. This one has very similar dimensions to a 125B sized enclosure. Im getting better at making them and im starting to like this design alot. The enclosure passed the test making sure there was space for everything. The drill holes are misaligned, noone to blame here but myself. Even though it drives me crazy it shows that there are tolerances if your off a with your measurements when fitting the circuits and hardware. Still waiting on powders to do a proper powder coat so stay tuned!

This circuit is awesome! It sounds really really good. I took a chance on it and im happy for it! Im planning on doing a demo tomorrow! All in all 5 out of 5 for me! @fig thank you once again for your generosity!

IMG-1552.jpg

IMG-1553.jpg

IMG-1554.jpg

IMG-1555.jpg

Last edited:
I worked in a pump and motor fab shop for awhile and would use an 8' shear and 4' break to fab belt or coupling enclosures. It was heavier sheet metal though, and I'd have to weld, then grind and smooth the seams for the paint booth. I enjoyed having my own space and the creativity it allowed. I also learned a ton about machine shops and equipment, as well as the wonderful world of pressure and flow.

Woah coming from you that means a lot!! 🤟 you totally can make these enclosures just takes the right tools a little bit of know how! I highly recommend looking up @temol sheet metal thread to get a start!
My grandfather was a union sheet metal worker. He taught me to solder when I was a kid. On my tenth birthday he gave me a hundred dollar bill in a welded closed sheet metal “envelope”. He let me loose in his shop to get it out. I used the bench grinder to open one end and a pair of needle nose vice grips to pry it open. He was laughing the whole day. Good times😍

Nice build. Love the enclosure.
You got a gift card for the BOTY??? @fig picked a winner?
32jcq26ytdp61.jpg

My grandfather was a union sheet metal worker. He taught me to solder when I was a kid. On my tenth birthday he gave me a hundred dollar bill in a welded closed sheet metal “envelope”. He let me loose in his shop to get it out. I used the bench grinder to open one end and a pair of needle nose vice grips to pry it open. He was laughing the whole day. Good times😍
Yeah I think you should start its in your blood! Its soooo satisfying seeing your enclosure form right in front of you! I should get my hands on a bench grinder, Ive been making these with only with a brake and bench shears.

I dig the shape on that one, and those gaps look great! I’m looking forward to the demo too.
Thanks dude! Im liking this style as well. These are a little easier to make and the dimensions are pretty much a 125B sized enclosure. It makes a little more sense to make something that can house most circuits. Ill be sure to put one up in the am!

I have an EQD version of this and it kicks ass. I think it was limited to like 300 pedals. I guess I'll make this one next on my list

Does this use a color changing LED?

Back